АннотацияThe Quality Index Method (QIM) provides a quick and accurate quality assessment. It makes it possible to calculate preserving time and establish the freshness of sea food. This article introduces a quality assessment program based on the QIM scheme and quality index (QI) for the Jinga shrimp.
The research included Jinga shrimps (Metapenaeus affinis L.), a commercially valuable aquatic species widely distributed throughout the Vietnamese coast. The input data included the changes in appearance and sensory profile of sampled shrimps during 20 days of storage at 0–4°C in ice water.
They were used to construct a QIM scale, which was applied to other shrimp samples at different storage time to evaluate the relationship between the QI score and the storage time. After that, the QIM scale was tested on ten random shrimp samples to verify its shelf-life predictive power. This study managed to establish a correlation equation between the QI scores and the storage time with the coefficient of R2= 0.97. This correlation proved highly reliable as verified by comparing the predicted and actual best shelf life of Jinga shrimps stored in ice water for 8–10 days.
The QIM program provides a practical and effective science-based tool that delivers fast and reliable results for customers, fishermen, food traders, and aquacultural enterprises.
Ключевые словаJinga shrimp, sensory evaluation, quality index method, storage time, ice storage, shelf life
Вклад авторовB.T.T. Hien: research concept, methodology, formal analysis, research, original draft, review and proofreading. D.T. Pham: methodology, research, and original draft. L.P. Vu: validation and research. P.H. Dao: validation and research. P.V. Tuyen: research. N.V. Nghia: research, review and proofreading. N.K. Bat: formal analysis, research, and original draft. All the authors have read and agreed to the published version of the manuscript.
КОНФЛИКТ ИНТЕРЕСОВThe authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication if this article.
БЛАГОДАРНОСТИWe express our sincere gratitude to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development for facilitating our study.
ФИНАНСИРОВАНИЕThe research was supported by the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, project “Research and assessment of the post-harvest losses level on offshore fishing boats (falling net, purseiner, trawler, pair-trawler, handliner)” (20/HĐ-KHCN, 22/01/2018).
- Calanche JB, Beltran JA, Hernandez Arias AJ. Aquaculture and sensometrics: The need to evaluate sensory attributes and the consumers’ preferences. Reviews in Aquaculture. 2020;12(2):805–821. https://doi.org/10.1111/raq.12351
- Sánchez-García F, Hernández I, Palacios VM, Roldán AM. Freshness quality and shelf life evaluation of the seaweed Ulva rigida through physical, chemical, microbiological, and sensory methods. Foods. 2021;10(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/foods10010181
- Ambrosio RL, Gogliettino M, Agrillo B, Proroga YTR, Balestrieri M, Gratino L, et al. An active peptide-based packaging system to improve the freshness and safety of fish products: A case study. Foods. 2022;11(3). https://doi.org/10.3390/foods11030338
- Wu D, Zhang M, Chen H, Bhandari B. Freshness monitoring technology of fish products in intelligent packaging. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2021;61(8):1279–1292. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2020.1757615
- Margeta P, Kralik G, Grčević M, Hanžek D, Kralik Z. Importance of sensory evaluation in assessment of egg quality. Poljoprivreda. 2019;25(1):56–63. https://doi.org/10.18047/poljo.25.1.8
- Freitas J, Vaz-Pires P, Câmara JS. Quality Index Method for fish quality control: Understanding the applications, the appointed limits and the upcoming trends. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2021;111:333–345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2021.03.011
- Ciampa A, Laghi L, Picone G. Validation of a 1H-NMR Spectroscopy quantitative method to quantify trimethylamine content and K-Index value in different species of fish. Journal of Food Quality. 2022;2022. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/3612095
- Vázquez-Sánchez D, García EES, Galvão JA, Oetterer M. Quality Index Method (QIM) scheme developed for whole Nile tilapias (Oreochromis niloticus) ice stored under refrigeration and correlation with physicochemical and microbiological quality parameters. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. 2020;29(3):307–319. https://doi.org/10.1080/10498850.2020.1724222
- Hien BTT, Pham DT, Tuyen PV, Tran H-D, Nguyen TV, Dang AV, et al. A quality index method for squid Uroteuthis (Photololigo) chinensis L. (Gray, 1849) preserved on ice. Foods and Raw Materials. 2020;8(2):216–222. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2020-2-216-222
- Freitas J, Vaz-Pires P, Câmara JS. Freshness assessment and shelf-life prediction for Seriola dumerili from aquaculture based on the Quality Index Method. Molecules. 2019;24(19). https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24193530
- Esteves E, Aníbal J. Sensory evaluation of seafood freshness using the Quality Index Method: A meta-analysis. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2021;337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2020.108934
- Nga MTT, Diem NTK. Modification of quality index method scheme for Nile tilapia fillets and application in quality assessment of the product stored at low temperatures. Pertanika Journal of Science and Technology. 2019;27(S1):137–147.
- Simpson BK. Innovative strategies for controlling fresh fish texture degradation during postharvest handlingand storage. In: Shahidi F, Jones YM, Kitts D, editors. Seafood safety, processing, and biotechnology. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2020. pp. 161–180. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781003075899
- Sae-leaw T, Benjakul S. Prevention of melanosis in crustaceans by plant polyphenols: A review. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2019;85:1–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2018.12.003
- Ginson J, Remya Kumari KR., Bindu J. Review on spoilage and quality indices of prawns. Fishery Technology. 2021;58(4):191–202.
- Jin Y, Li S, Yu Y, Zhang C, Zhang X, Li F. Transcriptome analysis provides insights into the mechanism of astaxanthin enrichment in a mutant of the ridgetail white prawn Exopalaemon carinicauda. Genes. 2021;12(5). https://doi.org/10.3390/genes12050618
- Khodanazary A. Freshness assessment of shrimp Metapenaeus affinis by quality index method and estimation of its shelf life. International Journal of Food Properties. 2019;22(1):309–319. https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2019.1580719
- Uyen PTX. Developing the Quality Index Method (QIM) to assess the freshness of whiteleg shrimp (Lipopenaeus vannamei) preserved at 0°C. Journal of Science and Technology. 2019;39(03):58–68. (In Vietnamese). https://doi.org/10.46242/jst-iuh.v39i03.453
- Tam LN, Uyen PTX, Vu THA. Effect of treatment on quality of black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Vietnam Journal of Chemistry. 2018;56(6):773–777. https://doi.org/10.1002/vjch.201800086
- Tam LN, Vu THA, Hai CV. The shelf-life of black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) treated with the different conditions. Vietnam Journal of Science and Technology. 2019;57(4):410–419. https://doi.org/10.15625/2525-2518/57/4/12901
- Hoque MS, Ripon MAS, Hossain MB, Rahman MA, Hasan MM, Mithun BD, et al. Quality assessment and molecular identification of bacteria across the black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) supply chains in Southern Bangladesh. International Aquatic Research. 2021;13(3):173–184. https://doi.org/10.22034/iar.2021.1924974.1142
- Le NT, Doan NK, Nguyen Ba T, Thi TTV. Towards improved quality benchmarking and shelf life evaluation of black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Food Chemistry. 2017;235:220–226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.05.055
- Tu HN. Some biological characteristics of Jinga shrimp (Metapenaeus affinis). Journal of Science and Technology. 2016:67–73. (In Vietnamese).
- Dinçer MT, Aydin İ. Proximate composition and mineral and fatty acid profiles of male and female jinga shrimps (Metapenaeus affinis, H. Milne Edwards, 1837). Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. 2014;38(4):92–103. https://doi.org/10.3906/vet-1301-15
- Le NT, Huynh NQA, Doan NK, Phan TXU, Nguyen BT, Dam SM, et al. The combination of microbiological, biochemical, and quality index methods in quality evaluation of Pacific white shrimps (Litopenaeus vannamei) preserved at 0°C. Vietnam Journal of Science, Technology and Engineering. 2021;63(2):45–51. https://doi.org/10.31276/VJSTE.63(2).45-51
- Hien BTT, Diem PT, Tung LA, Huong TT, Hoang NH, Bat NK, et al. Optimizing enzymatic hydrolysis for feed production from catfish by-products. Foods and Raw Materials. 2022;10(1):19–26. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2022-1-19-26