Все права защищены ©Romanova и др. Это статья с открытым доступом, распространяемая на условиях международной лицензии Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), позволяет другим распространять, перерабатывать, исправлять и развивать произведение, даже в коммерческих целях, при условии указания автора произведения.
Получена 22 Марта, 2023 |
Принята в исправленном виде 02 Мая, 2023 |
Опубликована 30 Августа, 2023
Biodegradable polymers, specifically polylactide, are an important part of food packaging and medical devices. Microbiological synthesis uses cheap renewable raw materials and industrial waste to produce a high yield of lactic acid, the monomer of polylactide. This method needs new effective lactic acid producing strains, e.g., thermophilic bacteria.
The research involved thermophilic bacterial strains isolated from soil and compost samples. Their ability to produce organic acids and extracellular enzymes was tested using the method of high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and microbiological tests respectively. The real-time polymerase chain reaction method (PCR) detected L-lactate dehydrogenase structural genes of L-lactate dehydrogenase of Bacillaceae. Strain T7.1 was fermented using glucose and yeast extract as carbon and nitrogen sources, respectively. The optical purity of lactic acid was evaluated using quantitative gas chromatography on a chiral column to separate lactate isomers. The molecular genetic analysis of the 16S rRNA gene sequence was applied to identify strain T7.1.
The chromatographic analysis proved that 10 out of 13 isolated thermophilic strains were effective lactic acid producers. They demonstrated proteolytic, amylolytic, or cellulase activities. During the fermentation, strain T7.1 produced 81 g/L of lactic acid with a peak productivity at 1.58 g/(L·h). The optical purity of the product exceeded 99.9% L-lactate. The genetic analysis identified strain T7.1 as Weizmannia coagulans (Bacillus coagulans).
The research revealed a promising thermophilic producer of optically pure L-lactic acid. Further research is needed to optimize the cultivation conditions, design an effective and cheap nutrient medium, and develop engineering and technological solutions to increase the yield.
, Weizmannia coagulans
, lactic acid
The research was supported by the foundation of Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia
(Mendeleev University) as part of strategic academic leadership Program Priority 2030 (project no. 2022-040).
- Lactic acid market key players, sales, demand, business strategy and forecast 2030 [Internet]. [cited 2023 Mar 6]. Available from: https://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/lactic-acid-market-key-players-sales-demand-business-strategy-and-forecast-2030#ixzz7uLkASYIk
- Lactic acid market – Global industry analysis, size, share, growth, trends, regional outlook, and forecast 2022–2030 [Internet]. [cited 2023 Mar 6]. Available from: https://www.precedenceresearch.com/lactic-acid-market
- Krasnova IS, Ganina VI, Semenov GV. Fruit and vegetable purees as cryoprotectants for vacuum freeze-dried fermented milk products. Foods and Raw Materials. 2023;11(2):300–308. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2023-2-578
- Panseri S, Martino PA, Cagnardi P, Celano G, Tedesco D, Castrica M, et al. Feasibility of biodegradable based packaging used for red meat storage during shelf-life: A pilot study. Food Chemistry. 2018;249:22–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.12.067
- Kryuk RV, Kurbanova MG, Kolbina AYu, Plotnikov KB, Plotnikov IB, Petrov AN, et al. Color sensors in smart food packaging. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2022;52(2):321–333. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2022-2-2366
- Ncube LK, Ude AU, Ogunmuyiwa EN, Zulkifli R, Beas IN. Environmental impact of food packaging materials: A review of contemporary development from conventional plastics to polylactic acid based materials. Materials. 2020;13(21). https://doi.org/10.3390/ma13214994
- Singha S, Hedenqvist MS. A review on barrier properties of poly(lactic acid)/clay nanocomposites. Polymers. 2020;12(5). https://doi.org/10.3390/polym12051095
- Farah S, Anderson DG, Langer R. Physical and mechanical properties of PLA, and their functions in widespread applications – A comprehensive review. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2016;107:367–392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2016.06.012
- Aulitto M, Fusco S, Bartolucci S, Franzén CJ, Contursi P. Bacillus coagulans MA-13: a promising thermophilic and cellulolytic strain for the production of lactic acid from lignocellulosic hydrolysate. Biotechnology for Biofuels and Bioproducts. 2017;10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-017-0896-8
- Alexandri M, Blanco-Catalá J, Schneider R, Turon X, Venus J. High L(+)-lactic acid productivity in continuous fermentations using bakery waste and lucerne green juice as renewable substrates. Bioresource Technology. 2020;316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2020.123949
- Hu J, Lin Y, Zhang Z, Xiang T, Mei Y, Zhao S, et al. High-titer lactic acid production by Lactobacillus pentosus FL0421 from corn stover using fed-batch simultaneous saccharification and fermentation. Bioresource Technology. 2016;214:74–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2016.04.034
- Kilcawley K, O'Sullivan M. Cheese flavour development and sensory characteristics. In: Papademas P, Bintsis T, editors. Global cheesemaking technology: Cheese quality and characteristics. Wiley; 2017. pp. 45–70. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119046165.ch0c
- Poudel P, Tashiro Y, Sakai K. New application of Bacillus strains for optically pure L-lactic acid production: general overview and future prospects. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 2016;80(4):642–654. https://doi.org/10.1080/09168451.2015.1095069
- Urbieta MS, Donati ER, Chan K-G, Shahar S, Sin LL, Goh KM. Thermophiles in the genomic era: Biodiversity, science, and applications. Biotechnology Advances. 2015;33(6):633–647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2015.04.007
- Blumer-Schuette SE, Brown SD, Sander KB, Bayer EA, Kataeva I, Zurawski JV, et al. Thermophilic lignocellulose deconstruction. FEMS Microbiology Reviews. 2014;38(3):393–448. https://doi.org/10.1111/1574-6976.12044
- Wang Y, Cao W, Luo J, Wan Y. Exploring the potential of lactic acid production from lignocellulosic hydrolysates with various ratios of hexose versus pentose by Bacillus coagulans IPE22. Bioresource Technology. 2018;261:342–349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2018.03.135
- Bischoff KM, Liu S, Hughes SR, Rich JO. Fermentation of corn fiber hydrolysate to lactic acid by the moderate thermophile Bacillus coagulans. Biotechnology Letters. 2010;32:823–828. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-010-0222-z
- Fan R, Ebrahimi M, Czermak P. Anaerobic membrane bioreactor for continuous lactic acid fermentation. Membranes. 2017;7(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/membranes7020026
- Ma K, Hu G, Pan L, Wang Z, Zhou Y, Wang Y, et al. Highly efficient production of optically pure l-lactic acid from corn stover hydrolysate by thermophilic Bacillus coagulans. Bioresource Technology. 2016;219:114–122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2016.07.100
- Thebti W, Riahi Y, Gharsalli R, Belhadj O. Screening and characterization of thermo-active enzymes of biotechnological interest produced by thermophilic Bacillus isolated from hot springs in Tunisia. Acta Biochimica Polonica. 2016;63(3):581–587. https://doi.org/10.18388/abp.2016_1271
- Tamura K, Stecher G, Kumar S. MEGA11: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 11. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 2021;38(7):3022–3027. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msab120
- Sun L, Zhang C, Lyu P, Wang Y, Wang L, Yu B. Contributory roles of two l-lactate dehydrogenases for l-lactic acid production in thermotolerant Bacillus coagulans. Scientific Report. 2016;6. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep37916
- Kuznetsov A, Beloded A, Derunets A, Grosheva V, Vakar L, Kozlovskiy R, et al. Biosynthesis of lactic acid in a membrane bioreactor for cleaner technology of polylactide production. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. 2017;19:869–882. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10098-016-1275-z
- Zhou X, Ye L, Wu JC. Efficient production of L-lactic acid by newly isolated thermophilic Bacillus coagulans WCP10-4 with high glucose tolerance. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2013;97:4309–4314. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-013-4710-7
- Wang L, Cai Y, Zhu L, Guo H, Yu B. Major role of NAD-dependent lactate dehydrogenases in the production of l-lactic acid with high optical purity by the thermophile Bacillus coagulans. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2014;80(23). https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01864-14
- Bosma EF, van de Weijer AHP, van der Vlist L, de Vos WM, van der Oost J, van Kranenburg R. Establishment of markerless gene deletion tools in thermophilic Bacillus smithii and construction of multiple mutant strains. Microbial Cell Factories. 2015;14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12934-015-0286-5
Romanova MV, Dolbunova AN, Epishkina YuM, Evdokimova SA, Kozlovskiy MR, Kuznetsov AYe, et al
. A thermophilic L-lactic acid producer of high optical purity: isolation and identification. Foods and Raw Materials. 2024;12(1):101–109. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2024-1-591