a National Research Centre, Giza, Egypt
b Agriculture Research Centre, Giza, Egypt
Все права защищены ©Abd El-Aziz и др. Это статья с открытым доступом, распространяемая на условиях международной лицензии Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), позволяет другим распространять, перерабатывать, исправлять и развивать произведение, даже в коммерческих целях, при условии указания автора произведения.
Получена 15 Ноября, 2022 |
Принята в исправленном виде 10 Января, 2023 |
Опубликована 24 Апреля, 2023
Plants have been used as food additives worldwide to enhance the sensory qualities of foods and extend their shelf life by reducing or eliminating foodborne pathogens. They also serve as therapeutic agents due to their beneficial effects on human health through their anti-cancerous, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and immune-modulatory properties.
Plants can be added to food as a dry powder, grated material, paste, juice, or as an extract that can be produced by a variety of methods. Plant extracts and essential oils are concentrated sources of bioactive phytochemicals that can be added to food in small amounts in a variety of forms. These forms include liquid, semi-solid, or dry powder for easy and uniform diffusion. Encapsulation can protect bioactive compounds from temperature, moisture, oxidation, and light, as well as allow for controlling the release of the encapsulated ingredients. Nanoemulsions can enhance the bioactivity of active components.
This review explains how plant extracts and essential oils are used in the dairy industry as antimicrobial materials, analyzing their impact on starter bacteria; as natural antioxidants to prevent the development of off-flavors and increase shelf life; and as technological auxiliaries, like milk-clotting enzymes, stabilizers, and flavoring agents. Therefore, plant extracts and essential oils are a better choice for the dairy industry than plants or their parts due to a wide range of applications, homogeneous dispersion, and ability to control the concentration of the bioactive ingredients and enhance their efficiency.
, essential oils
, dairy products
, natural antimicrobials
, milk-clotting enzyme
, natural antioxidants
The authors were equally involved in writing the manuscript and are equally responsible for plagiarism.
The authors state that there is no conflict of interest.
- Alezandro MR, Lui MCY, Lajolo FM, Genovese MI. Commercial spices and industrial ingredients: evaluation of antioxidant capacity and flavonoids content for functional foods development. Food Science and Technology. 2011;31(2):527–533. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612011000200038
- Kaptan B, Sivri GT. Utilization of medicinal and aromatic plants in dairy products. Journal of Advancements in Plant Science. 2018;1(2).
- Takó M, Kerekes EB, Zambrano C, Kotogán A, Papp T, Krisch J, et al. Plant phenolics and phenolic-enriched extracts as antimicrobial agents against food-contaminating microorganisms. Antioxidants. 2020;9(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox9020165
- Dhifi W, Bellili S, Jazi S, Bahloul N, Mnif W. Essential oils’ chemical characterization and investigation of some biological activities: A critical review. Medicines. 2016;3(4). https://doi.org/10.3390/medicines3040025
- Sukhikh SA, Astakhova LA, Golubcova YuV, Lukin AA, Prosekova EA, Milent`eva IS, et al. Functional dairy products enriched with plant ingredients. Foods and Raw Materials. 2019;7(2):428–438. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2019-2-428-438
- Dupas C, Métoyer B, El Hatmi H, Adt I, Mahgoub SA, Dumas E. Plants: A natural solution to enhance raw milk cheese preservation? Food Research International. 2020;130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2019.108883
- Azmir J, Zaidul ISM, Rahman MM, Sharif KM, Mohamed A, Sahena F, et al. Techniques for extraction of bioactive compounds from plant materials: A review. Journal of Food Engineering. 2013;117(4):426–436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2013.01.014
- Ritota M, Manzi P. Natural preservatives from plant in cheese making. Animals. 2020;10(4). https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10040749
- Proestos C. The benefits of plant extracts for human health. Foods. 2020;9(11). https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9111653
- Yusop FHM, Manaf SFA, Hamza F. Preservation of bioactive compound via microencapsulation. Chemical Engineering Research Bulletin. 2017;19:50–56. https://doi.org/10.3329/cerb.v19i0.33796
- Stan D, Enciu A-M, Mateescu AL, Ion AC, Brezeanu AC, Stan D, et al. Natural compounds with antimicrobial and antiviral effect and nanocarriers used for their transportation. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2021;12. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2021.723233
- Tajkarimi MM, Ibrahim SA, Cliver DO. Antimicrobial herb and spice compounds in food. Food Control. 2020;21(9):1199–1218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2010.02.003
- Vila R, Freixa B, Cañigueral S. Antifungal compounds from plants. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013;27(6):23–43.
- Khameneh B, Iranshahy M, Soheili V, Bazzaz BSF. Review on plant antimicrobials: A mechanistic viewpoint. Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control. 2019;8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-019-0559-6
- Diao W-R, Hu Q-P, Zhang Z, Xu J-G. Chemical composition, antibacterial activity and mechanism of action of essential oil from seeds of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.). Food Control. 2014;35(1):109–116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.06.056
- Zhang Y, Liua X, Wanga Y, Jianga P, Quekb SY. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of cinnamon essential oil against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Food Control. 2016;59:282–289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.05.032
- dos Santos Gouvea F, Rosenthal A, da Rocha Ferreira EH. Plant extract and essential oils added as antimicrobials to cheeses: A review. Ciencia Rural. 2017;47(8). https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-8478cr20160908
- Gonelimali FD, Lin J, Miao W, Xuan J, Charles F, Chen M, et al. Antimicrobial properties and mechanism of action of some plant extracts against food pathogens and spoilage microorganisms. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2018;9. https://doi.org/10.3389
- Arif T, Bhosale JD, Kumar N, Mandal TK, Bendre RS, Lavekar GS, et al. Natural products – antifungal agents derived from plants. Journal of Asian Natural Products Research. 2009;11(7):621–638. https://doi.org/10.1080/10286020902942350
- Miklasińska-Majdanik M, Kępa M, Wojtyczka RD, Idzik D, Wąsik TJ. Phenolic compounds diminish antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus clinical strains. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018;15(10). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15102321
- Zengin H, Baysal AH. Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of essential oil terpenes against pathogenic and spoilage-forming bacteria and cell structure-activity relationships evaluated by SEM microscopy. Molecules. 2014;19(11):17773–17798. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules191117773
- Tampieri MP, Galuppi R, Macchioni F, Carelle MS, Falcioni L, Cioni PL, et al. The inhibition of Candida albicans by selected essential oils and their major components. Mycopathologia. 2005;159:339–345. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-003-4790-5
- Hassanien MFR, Mahgoub SA, El-Zahar KM. Soft cheese supplemented with black cumin oil: Impact on foodborne pathogens and quality during storage. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 2014;21(3):280–288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sjbs.2013.10.005
- Moro A, Librán CM, Berruga MI, Carmona M, Zalacain A. Dairy matrix effect on the transference of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) essential oil compounds during cheese making. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2015;95(7):1507–1513. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6853
- Calo JR, Crandall PG, O'Bryan CA, Ricke SC. Essential oils as antimicrobials in food systems – A review. Food Control. 2015;54:111–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.12.040
- Cava R, Nowak E, Taboada T, Marin-Iniesta F. Antimicrobial activity of clove and cinnamon essential oils against Listeria monocytogenes in pasteurized milk. Journal of Food Protection. 2007;70(12):2757–2763. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028x-70.12.2757
- Gammariello D, Di Giulio S, Conte A, Del Nobile MA. Effects of natural compounds on microbial safety and sensory quality of Fior di Latte cheese, a typical Italian cheese. Journal of Dairy Science. 2008;91(11):4138–4146. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1146
- Shan B, Cai Y-Z, Brooks JD, Corke H. Potential application of spice and herb extracts as natural preservatives in cheese. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2011;14(3):284–290. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2010.0009
- Smith-Palmer A, Stewart J, Fyfe L. Influence of subinhibitory concentrations of plant essential oils on the production of enterotoxins A and B and α-toxin by Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2004;53(10):1023–1027. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.45567-0
- Libràn CM, Moro A, Zalacain A, Molina A, Carmona M, Berruga MI. Potential application of aromatic plant extracts to prevent cheese blowing. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2013;29:1179–1188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-013-1280-x
- Caleja C, Barrosa L, Antonio AL, Carocho M, Oliveira MBPP, Ferreira ICFR. Fortification of yogurts with different antioxidant preservatives: A comparative study between natural and synthetic additives. Food Chemistry. 2016;210:262–268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.04.114
- Salvia-Trujillo L, Rojas-Graü MA, Soliva-Fortuny R, Martín-Belloso O. Impact of microfluidization or ultrasound processing on the antimicrobial activity against Escherichia coli of lemongrass oil-loaded nanoemulsions. Food Control. 2014;37:292–297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.09.015
- Ghazy OA, Fouad MT, Saleh HH, Kholif AE, Morsy TA. Ultrasound-assisted preparation of anise extract nanoemulsion and its bioactivity against different pathogenic bacteria. Food Chemistry. 2021;341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128259
- Wahba NM, Ahmed AS, Ebraheim ZZ. Antimicrobial effects of pepper, parsley, and dill and their roles in the microbiological quality enhancement of traditional Egyptian Kareish cheese. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 2020;7(4):411–418. https://doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2009.0412
- Tayel AA, Hussein H, Sorour NM, El-Tras WF. Foodborne pathogens prevention and sensory attributes enhancement in processed cheese via flavoring with plant extracts. Journal of Food Science. 2015;80(12):M2886–M2891. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.13138
- Mahajan D, Bhat ZF, Kumar S. Pine needles (Cedrus deodara (Roxb.) Loud.) extract as a novel preservative in cheese. Food Packaging and Shelf Life. 2016;7:20–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fpsl.2016.01.001
- Vazquez BI, Fente C, Franco CM, Vazquez MJ, Cepeda A. Inhibitory effects of eugenol and thymol on Penicillium citrinum strains in culture media and cheese. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2001;67(1–2):157–163. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0168-1605(01)00429-9
- Abd El-Aziz M, Mohamed SHS, Seleet FL. Production and evaluation of soft cheese with ginger extract as a functional dairy food. Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences. 2012;62(2):77–83. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10222-011-0046-0
- Al-Snafi AE. Therapeutic properties of medicinal plants: A review of their antibacterial activity (part 1). International Journal of Practical Theology. 2015;6(3):137–158.
- Zgurskaya HI, López CA, Gnanakaran S. Permeability barrier of Gram-negative cell envelopes and approaches to bypass it. ACS Infectious Diseases. 2015;1(11):512–522. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsinfecdis.5b00097
- Ehsani A, Hashemi M, Naghibi SS, Mohammadi S, Sadaghiani SK. Properties of Bunium persicum essential oil and its application in Iranian white cheese against Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli O157:H7. Journal of Food Safety. 2016;36(4):563–570. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfs.12277
- Govaris A, Botsoglou E, Sergelidis D, Chatzopoulou PS. Antibacterial activity of oregano and thyme essential oils against Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli O157:H7 in feta cheese packaged under modified atmosphere. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2011;44(4):1240–1244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.09.022
- Azizkhani M, Tooryan F, Azizkhani M. Inhibitory potential of Salvia sclarea and Ocimum basilicum against chemical and microbial spoilage in cheese. Journal of Food Safety. 2016;36(1):109–119. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfs.12218
- Vrinda Menon K, Garg SR. Inhibitory effect of clove oil on Listeria monocytogenesin meat and cheese. Food Microbiology. 2001;18(6):647–650. https://doi.org/10.1006/fmic.2001.0430
- Behrad S, Yusof MY, Goh KL, Baba AS. Manipulation of probiotics fermentation of yogurt by Cinnamon and Licorice: Effects on yogurt formation and inhibition of Helicobacter pylori growth in vitro. International Journal of Scientific Research and Innovation. 2009;3(12):563‒567. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1085692
- Mahgoub SA, Ramadan MF, El-Zahar K. Cold pressed Nigella sativa oil inhibits the growth of food-borne pathogens and improves the quality of Domiati cheese. Journal of Food Safety. 2013;33(4):470–480. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfs.12078
- Hanifah R, Arief II, Budiman C. Antimicrobial activity of goat milk yoghurt with addition of a probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus IIA-2B4 and roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L) extract. International Food Research Journal. 2016;23(6):2638–2645.
- Jeong E-J, Lee NK, Oh J, Jang SE, Lee J-S, Bae I-H, et al. Inhibitory effect of cinnamon essential oils on selected cheese-contaminating fungi (Penicillium spp.) during the cheese-ripening process. Food Science and Biotechnology. 2014;23:1193–1198. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0163-8
- Balaguer MP, Lopez-Carballo G, Catala R, Gavara R, Hernandez-Munoz P. Antifungal properties of gliadin films incorporating cinnamaldehyde and application in active food packaging of bread and cheese spread foodstuffs. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2013;166(3):369–377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2013.08.012
- Farrag AF, El-Sheikh MM, Fouad MT, Sayed AF, Abd El-Aziz M. Properties of probiotic UF-white soft cheese fortified with garlic extract. Journal of Biological Sciences. 2019;19(1):65–73. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2019.65.73
- Sagdic O, Cankurt H, Tornuk F, Arici M. Effect of thyme and garlic aromatic waters on microbiological properties of raw milk cheese. Journal of Tekirdag Agricultural Faculty. 2017;14(2):22–33.
- Sindhu S, Bhageerathy C, Leela NK, Bhai S. Chemoprevention by essential oil of turmeric leaves (Curcuma longa L.) on the growth of Aspergillus flavus and aflatoxin production. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2011;49(5):1188–1192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2011.02.014
- Alexa E, Danciu C, Cocan I, Negrea M, Morar A, Obistioiu D, et al. Chemical composition and antimicrobial potential of Satureja hortensis L. in fresh cow cheese. Journal of Food Quality. 2018;2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/8424035
- Otaibi MA, Demerdash HE. Improvement of the quality and shelf life of concentrated yoghurt (labneh) by the addition of some essential oils. African Journal of Microbiology Research. 2008;2(7):156‒161.
- Thabet HM, Nogain QA, Qasha AS, Abdoalaziz O, Alnsheme N. Evaluation of the effects of some plant derived essential oils on shelf life extension of Labneh. Merit Research Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;2(1):008‒014.
- Marcial GE, Gerez CL, de Kairuz MN, Araoz VC, Schuff C, de Valdez GF. Influence of oregano essential oil on tradional Argentinean cheese elaboration: Effect on lactic starter cultures. Revista Argentina de Microbiologia. 2019;48(3):229–235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ram.2016.04.006
- Mahmoudi R, Tajik H, Ehsani A, Farshid AA, Zare P, Hadian M. Effects of Mentha longifolia L. essential oil on viability and cellular ultrastructure of Lactobacillus casei during ripening of probiotic Feta cheese. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2012;66(1):77–82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0307.2012.00867.x
- Abd El-Aziz M, Mohamed SHS, Seleet FL, Abd El-Gawad MAM. Effect of brine solution containing ginger extract on the properties of Egyptian white cheese. American Journal of Food Technology. 2015;10(1):37–47. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajft.2015.37.47
- de Carvalho RJ, de Souza GT, Honorio VG, de Sousa JP, da Conceiçao ML, Maganani M, et al. Comparative inhibitory effects of Thymus vulgaris L. essential oil against Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes and mesophilic starter co-culture in cheese-mimicking models. Food Microbiology. 2015;52:59–65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2015.07.003
- Bakr SA, Salihi BA. Effects of inclusion of Allium sativum and Cinnamomum verum in milk on the growth and activity of lactic acid bacteria during yogurt fermentation. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. 2013;13(11):1448–1457.
- Marhamatizadeh MH, Afrasiabi S, Rezazadeh S, Marhamati Z. Effect of spearmint on the growth of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum in probiotic milk and yogurt. African Journal of Food Science. 2011;5(13):747–753.
- Marhamatizadeh MH, Shahriarpoor MS, Rezazadeh S. Effects of chamomile essence on the growth of probiotic bacteria, Bifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus acidophilus in milk and yogurt. Global Veterinaria. 2012;8(6):605–611.
- Marhamatizadeh MH, Ehsandoost E, Gholami P. The potential effect of aqueous extract of rose flower (Rosa damascena mill) upon probiotic bacterium performance in milk and yogurt for production of synbiotic fermented milk and yogurt. International JAPSBMS. 2013;2(4):260–271.
- Shori AB, Baba AS. Survival of Bifidobacterium bifidum in cow-and camel-milk yogurts enriched with Cinnamomum verum and Allium sativum. Journal of the Association of Arab Universities for Basic and Applied Sciences. 2015;18(1):7–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaubas.2014.02.006
- Haddadin MSY. Effect of olive leaf extracts on the growth and metabolism of two probiotic bacteria of intestinal origin. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2010;9(8):787–793. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2010.787.793
- Joung JY, Lee JY, Ha YS, Shin YK, Kim Y, Kim SH, et al. Enhanced microbial, functional and sensory properties of herbal yogurt fermented with Korean traditional plant extracts. Food Science of Animal Resources. 2016;36(1):90–99. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.1.90
- Ziarno M, Kozłowska M, Scibisz I, Kowalczyk M, Pawelec S, Stochmal A, et al. The effect of selected herbal extracts on lactic acid bacteria activity. Applied Sciences. 2021;11(9). https://doi.org/10.3390/app11093898
- Oh NS, Lee JY, Joung JY, Kim KS, Shin YK, Lee K-W, et al. Microbiological characterization and functionality of set-type yogurt fermented with potential prebiotic substrates Cudrania tricuspidata and Morus alba L. leaf extracts. Journal of Dairy Science. 2016;99(8):6014–6025. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-10814
- Shahdadi F, Mirzaie H, Kashaninejad M, Khomeiri M, Ziaiifar AM, Akbarian, A. Effects of various essential oils on chemical and sensory characteristics and activity of probiotic bacteria in drinking yogurt. Agricultural Communication. 2015;3(1):16–21.
- Sarabi-Jamab M, Niazmand R. Effect of essential oil of Mentha piperita and Ziziphora clinopodioides on Lactobacillus acidophilus activity as bioyogurt starter culture. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. 2009;6(2):129–131.
- El-Shenawy M, Abd El-Aziz M, Elkholy W, Fouad MT. Probiotic ice cream made with tiger-nut (Cyperus esculentus) extract. American Journal of Food Technology. 2016;11(5):204–212. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajft.2016.204.212
- Sardarodiyan M, Sani AM. Natural antioxidants: sources, extraction and application in food systems. Nutrition and Food Science. 2016;46(3):363–373. https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-01-2016-0005
- Gad AS, Sayd AF. Antioxidant properties of rosemary and its potential uses as natural antioxidant in dairy products – A review. Food and Nutrition Sciences. 2015;6(1):179–193. https://doi.org/10.4236/fns.2015.61019
- Lee K-G, Shibamoto T. Determination of antioxidant potential of volative extracts isolated from various herbs and spices. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2002;50(17):4947–4952. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0255681
- Berardini N, Knodler M, Schieber A, Carle R. Utilization of mango peels as a source of pectin and polyphenolics. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2005;6(4):442–452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2005.06.004
- Reische DW, Lillard DA, Eitenmiller RR. Antioxidants. In: Akoh CC, Min DB, editors. Food lipids: Chemistry, nutrition and biotechnology. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2002. pp. 489–516. https://doi.org/10.1201/9780203908815
- Carocho M, Barreiro MF, Morales P, Ferreira ICFR Adding molecules to food, pros and cons: A review on synthetic and natural food additives. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2014;13(4):377–399. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12065
- Abbas M, Saeed F, Anjum FM, Afzaal M, Tufail T, Bashir MS, et al. Natural polyphenols: An overview. International Journal of Food Properties. 2017;20(8):1689–1699. https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2016.1220393
- Lourenço SC, Moldão-Martins M, Alves VD. Antioxidants of natural plant origins: From sources to food industry applications. Molecules. 2019;24(22). https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24224132
- Karpinska M, Borowski J, Danowska-Oziewicz M. The use of natural antioxidants in ready-to-serve food. Food Chemistry. 2001;72(1):5–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00171-0
- Astley SB. Dietary antioxidants – past, present and future. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2003;14(3):93–98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(02)00281-9
- Abd El-Alim SSL, Lugasi A, Hóvári J, Dworschák E. Culinary herbs inhibit lipid oxidation in raw and cooked minced meat patties during storage. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 1999;79(2):277–285. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199902)79:2<277::AID-JSFA181>3.0.CO;2-S
- Tsen SY, Ameri F, Smith JS. Effects of rosemary extracts on the reduction of heterocyclic amines in beef patties. Journal of Food Science. 2006;71(8):C469–C473. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2006.00149.x
- Nuñez de Gonzalez MT, Hafley BS, Boleman RM, Miller RK, Rhee KS, Keeton JT. Antioxidant properties of plum concentrates and powder in precooked roast beef to reduce lipid oxidation. Meat Science. 2008;80(4):997–1004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.04.014
- Muniandy P, Shorib AB, Baba AS. Influence of green, white and black tea addition on the antioxidant activity of probiotic yogurt during refrigerated storage. Food Packaging and Shelf Life. 2016;8:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fpsl.2016.02.002
- Santos RD, Shetty K, da Silva Miglioranza LH. Oxidative stability of butter with added phenolics from Lamiaceae herbs and in vitro evaluation of potential cytotoxicity of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) extract. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;49(3):768–775. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12364
- Srivastava P, Prasad SGM, Ali MN, Prasad M. Analysis of antioxidant activity of herbal yoghurt prepared from different milk. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2015;4(3):18–20.
- Park H, Lee M, Kim K-T, Park E, Paik H-D. Antioxidant and antigenotoxic effect of dairy products supplemented with red ginseng extract. Journal of Dairy Science. 2018;101(10):8702–8710. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-14690
- Oraon L, Atanu J, Prajapati PS, Suvera P. Application of herbs in functional dairy products – a review. Journal of Dairy, Veterinary and Animal Research. 2017;5(3):109‒115. https://doi.org/10.15406/jdvar.2017.05.00145
- Pawar N, Gandhi K, Purohit A, Singh RRB. Effect of added herb extracts on oxidative stability of ghee (butter oil) during accelerated oxidation con¬dition. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;51(10):2727‒2733. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-012-0781-1
- Pankaj P, Khamrui K, Devaraja HC, Singh RRB. The effects of alcoholic extract of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna Wight & Arn.) bark on stability of clarified butterfat. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2013;7(35):2545‒2550. https://doi.org/10.5897/JMPR2013.5114
- Özcan M. Antioxidant activity of rosemary, sage and sumac extracts and their combinations on stability of natural peanut oil. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2003;6(3):267‒270. https://doi.org/10.1089/10966200360716698
- Estévez M, Ramirez R, Ventanas S, Cava R. Sage and rosemary essential oils versus BHT for the inhibition of lipid oxidative reactions in liver pâté. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2007;40(1):58‒65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2005.07.010
- El-Hadad SS, Tikhomirova NA, Abd El-Aziz M. Biological activities of dihydroquercetin and its effect on the oxidative stability of butter oil. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2020;44(7). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14519
- Mikdame H, Kharmach E, Mtarfi NE, Alaoui K, Ben Abbou M, Rokni Y, et al. By-products of olive oil in the service of the deficiency of food antioxidants: The case of butter. Journal of Food Quality. 2020;2020. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/6382942
- Najgebauer-Lejko D, Grega T, Sady M, Domagała J. The quality and storage stability of butter made from sour cream with addition of dried sage and rosemary. Biotechnology in Animal Husbandry. 2009;25(5–6):753‒761.
- Merai M, Boghra VR, Sharma RS. Extraction of antioxygenic principles from Tulsi leaves and their effects on oxidative stability of ghee. Journal of Food Science and Technology – Mysore. 2003;40(1):52–57.
- Farag RS, Ali MN, Taha SH. Use of some essential oils as natural preservatives for butter. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. 1990;67(3):188–191. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02539623
- Shah MA, Mir SA, Paray MA. Plant proteases as milk-clotting enzymes in cheesemaking: A review. Dairy Science and Technology. 2014;94:5–16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13594-013-0144-3
- Kumar A, Sasmal S. Rheological and physico-chemical properties of milk gel using isolate of pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata) seeds: A new source of milk clotting peptidase. Food Hydrocolloids. 2020;106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2020.105866
- Ben Amira A, Besbes S, Attia H, Blecker C. Milk-clotting properties of plant rennets and their enzymatic, rheological, and sensory role in cheese making: A review. International Journal of Food Properties. 2017;20(S1):S76–S93. https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2017.1289959
- Silva S, Barros RM, Malcata FX. Hydrolysis of caseins by extracts of Cynara cardunculus precipitated by ammonium sulfate. Journal of Food Science. 2002;67(5):1746–1751. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb08717.x
- Fox PF, McSweeney PLH, Cogan TM, Guinee TP. Cheese: Chemistry, physics and microbiology. Volume 1. General Aspects. Academic Press; 2004. 650 p.
- Fguiri I, Atigui M, Sboui A, Samira A, Marzougui C, Dbara M, et al. Camel milk-clotting using plant extracts as a substitute to commercial rennet. Journal of Chemistry. 2021;2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6680246
- Afsharnezhad M, Shahangian SS, Sariri RA. A novel milk-clotting cysteine protease from Ficus johannis: Purification and characterization. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2019;121:173–182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.10.006
- Khan RS, Masud T. Comparison of buffalo cottage cheese made from aqueous extract of Withania coagulans with commercial calf rennet. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2013;66(3):396–401. https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12048
- Mazorra-Manzano MA, Perea-Gutiérrez TC, Lugo-Sanchez ME, Ramirez-Suarez JC, Torres-Llanez MJ, González-Córdova AF, et al. Comparison of the milk-clotting properties of three plant extracts. Food Chemistry. 2013;141(3):1902–1907. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.05.042
- Abebe B, Emire S. Manufacture of fresh cheese using east African Calotropis procera leaves extract crude enzyme as milk coagulant. Food Science and Nutrition. 2020;8(9):4831–4842. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.1765
- Ado RI, Lopez C, Lechevalier V, Gounga ME, Robert B, Harel-Oger M, et al. Dairy curd coagulated by a plant extract of Calotropis procera: Role of fat structure on the chemical and textural characteristics. Food Research International. 2018;105:694–702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.11.056
- Gad AS, Abd El-Salam MH. The antioxidant properties of skim milk supplemented with rosemary and green tea extracts in response to pasteurisation, homogenisation and the addition of salts. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2010;63(3):349–355. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0307.2010.00585.x
- Deeth HC. Lipoprotein lipase and lipolysis in milk. International Dairy Journal. 2006;16(6):555–562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2005.08.011
- Menis-Henrique MEC. Methodologies to advance the understanding of flavor chemistry. Current Opinion in Food Science. 2020;33:131–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cofs.2020.04.005
- Modupalli N, Devraj L, Natarajan V. Plant extracts as flavoring agent. In: Mir SA, Manickavasagan A, Ahmad Shah M, editors. Plant extracts: Applications in the food industry. Academic Press; 2022. pp. 165–186. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-822475-5.00006-5
- Bandyopadhyay M, Chakraborty R, Raychaudhuri U. Process for preparing a natural antioxidant enriched dairy products (Sandesh). LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2007;40(5):842–851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2006.05.007
- Lee N-K, Jeewanthi RKC, Park E-H, Paik H-D. Short communication: Physicochemical and antioxidant properties of Cheddar-type cheese fortified with Inula britannica extract. Journal of Dairy Science. 2016;99(1):83–88. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-9935
- Evstigneeva T, Skvortsova N, Yakovleva R. The application of green tea extract as a source of antioxidants in the processing of dairy products. Agronomy Research. 2016;14(S2):1284–1298.
- Laranjo M, Fernández-León AM, Agulheiro-Santos AC, Potes ME, Elias M. Essential oils of aromatic and medicinal plants play a role in food safety. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2019;46(8). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14278
- Selim S. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils against Vancomycin-Resistant enterococci (VRE) and Escherichia coli O157: H7 in Feta soft cheese and minced beef meat. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology. 2011;42:187–196.
- Foda MI, El-Sayed MA, Hassan AA, Rasmy NM, El-Moghazy MM. Effect of spearmint essential oil on chemical composition and sensory properties of white cheese. Journal of American Science. 2010;6(5):272–279.
- Zaky WM, Kassem JM, Abbas HM, Mohamed SHS. Evaluation of salt-free Labneh quality prepared using dill and caraway essential oils. Life Science Journal. 2013;10(4):3379–3386.
- Ghalem BR, Zouaoui B. Microbiological, physico-chemical and sensory quality aspects of yoghurt enriched with Rosmarinus officinalis oil. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2013;12(2):192–198. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB12.1257
- Trivedi VB, Prajapati JP, Pinto SV, Darji VB. Use of basil (tulsi) as flavouring ingredient in the manufacture of ice cream. American International Journal of Contemporary Scientific Research. 2014;1(3):47–62.
- Shazly AB, Fouad MT, Elaaser M, Sayed RS, Abd El-Aziz M. Probiotic coffee ice cream as an innovative functional dairy food. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2022;46(12). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.17253
- Muhammad DRA, Gonzalez CG, Doost AS, de Walle DV, der Meeren PV, Dewettinck K. Improvement of antioxidant activity and physical stability of chocolate beverage using colloidal cinnamon nanoparticles. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2019;12:976–989. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-019-02271-5
- Salama HH, El-Sayed HS, Kholif AMM, Edris AE. Essential oils nanoemulsion for the flavoring of functional stirred yogurt: Manufacturing, physicochemical, microbiological, and sensorial investigation. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. 2021;21(6):372–382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssas.2021.10.001
- Laswai HS, Mpanalile JJ, Silayo VCK, Ballegu WR. Use of soybeans in food formulation in Tanzania. Proceedings of the first national soybean stakeholders workshop; 2009; Morogoro. Morogoro; 2009. p. 52–59.
- Gaur GK, Rani R, Dharaiya CN, Solanki K. Development of herbal milk using tulsi juice, ginger juice and turmeric powder. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 2019;7(2):1150–1157.
- Azizkhani M, Parsaeimehr M. Probiotics survival, antioxidant activity and sensory properties of yogurt flavored with herbal essential oils. International Food Research Journal. 2018;25(3):921–927.
- Nedovic V, Kalusevic A, Manojlovi V, Levic S, Bugarski B. An overview of encapsulation technologies for food applications. Procedia Food Science. 2011;1:1806–1815. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profoo.2011.09.265
- Salama HH, Trif M, Rusu AV, Bhattacharya S. Application of functional and edible coatings and films as promising strategies for developing dairy functional products – A review on yoghurt case. Coatings. 2022;12(6). https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings12060838
- Salama HH, El-Said MM, Abdelhamid SM, Abozed SS, Mounier MM. Effect of fortification with sage loaded liposome on the chemical, physical, microbiological properties and cytotoxicity of yoghurt. Egyptian Journal of Chemistry. 2020;63(10):3879–3890.
- El-Said MM, El-Messery TM, El-Din HMF. The encapsulation of powdered doum extract in liposomes and its application in yoghurt. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum Technologia Alimentaria. 2018,17(3):235–245. https://doi.org/10.17306/J.AFS.2018.0571
- El-Messery TM, El-Said MM, Salama HH, Mohammed DM, Ros G. Bioaccessibility of encapsulated mango peel phenolic extract and its application in milk beverage. International Journal of Dairy Science. 2021;16(1):29–40. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijds.2021.29.40
- El-Abd MM, Abdel-Hamid M, El-Sayed HS, El-Metwaly HA, El-Demerdash ME, Mohamed ZFA. Viability of microencapsulated probiotics combined with plant extracts in fermented camel milk under simulated gastrointestinal conditions. Middle East Journal of Applied Sciences. 2018;8(3):837–850.
- Maio GD, Pittia P, Mazzarino L, Maraschin M, Kuhnen S. Cow milk enriched with nanoencapsulated phenolic extract of jaboticaba (Plinia peruviana). Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2019;56(3):1165–1173. https://doi.org/10.1007%2Fs13197-019-03579-y
- El-Sayed SM, El-Sayed HS, Salama HH, Abd-Rabou NS. Preparation and evaluation of microencapsulated fig leaves extract for production novel processed cheese sauce. Egyptian Journal of Chemistry. 2020;64(4):1665–1678.
- Siyar Z, Motamedzadegan A, Milani JM, Rashidinejad A. The effect of the liposomal encapsulated saffron extract on the physicochemical properties of a functional Ricotta cheese. Molecules. 2022,27(1). https://doi.org/10.3390%2Fmolecules27010120
- Sawale PD, Patil GR, Hussain SA, Singh AK, Singh RRB. Development of free and encapsulated Arjuna herb extract added vanilla chocolate dairy drink by using response surface methodology (RSM) software. Journal of Agricultural and Food Research. 2020;2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafr.2020.100020
- Barretto FJFP, Clemente HA, Santana ALBD, da Silva Vasconcelo MA. Stability of encapsulated and non-encapsulated anthocyanin in yogurt produced with natural dye obtained from Solanum melongena L. bark. Revista Brasileira de Fruticultura. 2020;42(3). https://doi.org/10.1590/0100-29452020137
- Sawale PD, Patil GR, Hussain SA, Singh AK, Singh RRB. Effect of sterilization treatment on polyphenol content, antioxidant activity and stability of free and encapsulated herb (Terminalia arjuna) added milk drink. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 2019;72(2):148–154. https://doi.org/10.33785/IJDS.2019.v72i02.004
- Lourenço SC, Moldão-Martins M, Alves VD. Microencapsulation of pineapple peels extract by spray drying using maltodextrin, inulin, and Arabic gum as wall matrices. Foods. 2020;9(6). https://doi.org/10.3390%2Ffoods9060718
Abd El-Aziz M, Salama HH, Sayed RS. Plant extracts and essential oils in the dairy industry: A review. Foods and Raw Materials. 2023;11(2):321–337. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2023-2-579