a Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University, Dinajpur, Bangladesh
Все права защищены ©Rahman и др. Это статья с открытым доступом, распространяемая на условиях международной лицензии Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), позволяет другим распространять, перерабатывать, исправлять и развивать произведение, даже в коммерческих целях, при условии указания автора произведения.
Получена 18 Октября, 2022 |
Принята в исправленном виде 06 Декабря, 2022 |
Опубликована 14 Апреля, 2023
As a good source of natural anti-oxidants, oyster mushroom flour can be incorporated in dairy products. However, very few scientific publications provide formulations for dairy products fortified with oyster mushroom flour. This research featured the physicochemical and antioxidant properties of oyster mushroom flour pretreated with 0.5% citric acid solution. Three samples of mozzarella cheese were incorporated with 1, 2, and 3% oyster mushroom flour and tested for physicochemical properties, total phenolic content, total flavonoid content, and 2, 2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH). The mushroom flour had 11.09 ± 0.88% moisture content, 20.70 ± 0.74% protein, 3.25 ± 0.13% ash, 7.43 ± 0.35% crude fiber, 3.31 ± 0.51% fat, and 54.20 ± 0.81% carbohydrate. The DPPH was 87.00 ± 0.15 mg GAE/g DM, the total phenolic content was 2.09 ± 0.68 mg GAE/g DM, and the total flavonoid content was 1.67 ± 0.27 mg QE/g DM. The texture and water holding capacity of the mozzarella cheese samples fortified with oyster mushroom flour decreased as the proportion of mushroom flour increased. The color (L* lightness, b* redness, and a* yellowness) was significantly lower than in the control (cheese without oyster mushroom flour). The test samples contained significantly (p ≤ 0.05) higher amount of DPPH and phenolic compounds than the control. The sensory attributes were assessed by 30 semi-trained panelists, who gave the highest score to the sample fortified with 1% oyster mushroom flour. As a natural antioxidant, oyster mushroom flour proved to be an excellent component for functional cheese products.
, textural properties
, sensory analysis
The authors were equally involved in writing the manuscript and are equally responsible for plagiarism.
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the National Science and Technology (NST) fellowship under the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST), Bangladesh, for research grants (Funding No. ES 390; year 2021–2022).
This work was financially supported by the National Science and Technology (NST) fellowship under the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST), Bangladesh (grant No. ES 390; year 2021–2022).
- Farahat ESA, Mohamed AG, El-Loly MM, Gafour WAMS. Innovative vegetables-processed cheese: I. Physicochemical, rheological and sensory characteristics. Food Bioscience. 2021;42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2021.101128
- Rafiq SM, Ghosh BC. Effect of potato incorporation on the physico-chemical, textural and sensory properties of processed cheese. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization. 2017;11(2):776–780. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11694-016-9448-3
- Manzi P, Aguzzi A, Pizzoferrato L. Nutritional value of mushrooms widely consumed in Italy. Food Chemistry. 2001;73(3):321–325. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00304-6
- Alam SM, Raza MS. Importance of mushrooms. Industry and Economy. 2001;1:125–133.
- Sharma A, Singh S, Kuiry BM, Himanshu, Singh K, Shivani Cultivation and processing of edible mushrooms. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2021;17(1):745–750.
- Srivastava A, Attri BL, Verma S. Development and evaluation of instant soup premix using oyster mushroom powder. Mushroom Research. 2019;28(1):65–69. https://doi.org/10.36036/MR.28.1.2019.91960
- Miles PG, Chang S-T. Mushrooms. Cultivation, nutritional value, medicinal effect, and environmental impact. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2004. 480 p. https://doi.org/10.1201/9780203492086
- Adams MR, Moss MO. Food Microbiology. Second Edition. London: Royal Society of Chemistry; 2002. 479 p.
- Jana AH, Tagalpallewar GP. Functional properties of Mozzarella cheese for its end use application. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2017;54(12):3766–3778. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-017-2886-z
- Huma N, Rafiq S, Sameen A, Pasha I, Khan MI. Antioxidant potential of buffalo and cow milk Cheddar cheeses to tackle human colon adenocarcinoma (Caco-2) cells. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. 2018;31(2):287–292. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0031
- Lopez-Exposito I, Amigo L, Recio I. A mini-review on health and nutritional aspects of cheese with a focus on bioactive peptides. Dairy Science and Technology. 2012;92(5):419–438. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13594-012-0066-5
- Altun SK, Aydemir ME. Determination of some minerals and heavy metal levels in Urfa cheese and cow's milk. Food and Health. 2021;7(3):185–193.
- Krumov K, Ivanov G, Slavchev A, Nenov N. Improving the processed cheese quality by the addition of natural spice extracts. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2010;2:335–339.
- Shabani J, Sarfarazi M, Mirzaei H, Jafari SM. Influence of the sunflower oil content, cooking temperature and cooking time on the physical and sensory properties of spreadable cheese analogues based on UF white-brined cheese. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2016;69(4):576–584. https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12305
- Hamdy SM, Hassan MG, Ahmed RB, Abdelmontaleb HS. Impact of oat flour on some chemical, physicochemical and microstructure of processed cheese. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2021;45(9). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.15761
- Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemist. 17th edition Washington: AOAC; 2000.
- Kabir MR, Hasan MM, Islam MR, Haque AR, Hasan SMK. Formulation of yogurt with banana peel extracts to enhance storability and bioactive properties. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2021;45(3). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.15191
- Islam MR, Haque AR, Kabir MR, Hasan MM, Khushe KJ, Hasan SMK. Fruit by-products: The potential natural sources of antioxidants and α-glucosidase inhibitors. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2021;58(5):1715–1726. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-020-04681-2
- Shams EA, Yousef NS, El-Shazly H. Chemical, sensory and rheological evaluation of Karish cheese made by oyster mushroom mycelium. Journal of Food and Dairy Sciences. 2020;11(7):187–193.
- Guzman-González M, Morais F, Ramos M, Amigo L. Influence of skimmed milk concentrate replacement by dry dairy products in a low fat set-type yoghurt model system. I: Use of whey protein concentrates, milk protein concentrates and skimmed milk powder. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 1999;79(8):1117–1122. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199906)79:8<1117::AID-JSFA335>3.0.CO;2-F
- Harwalkar VR, Kalab M. Comparison of centrifugation and drainage methods. Milchwissenschaft. 1983;38(9):517–522.
- Mahomud MS, Haque MA, Akhter N, Asaduzzaman M. Effect of milk pH at heating on protein complex formation and ultimate gel properties of free-fat yoghurt. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2021;58(5):1969–1978. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-020-04708-8
- Jha SN. Colour measurements and modeling. In: Jha SN, editor. Nondestructive evaluation of food quality. Theory and practice. Heidelberg: Springer Berlin; 2010; p. 17–40. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-15796-7_2
- Roessler EB, Pangborn RM, Sidel JL, Stone H. Expanded statistical tables for estimating significance in paired-preference, paired-difference, duo-trio and triangle tests. Journal of Food Science. 1978;43(3):940–943. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1978.tb02458.x
- Das R, Sarker M, Lata MB, Islam MA, Al Faik MA, Sarkar S. Physicochemical properties and sensory evaluation of sponge cake supplemented with hot air and freeze dried oyster mushroom (Pleurotus sajor-caju). World Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2020;8(4):665–674. https://doi.org/10.4236/wjet.2020.84047
- Prodhan UK, Linkon KMMR, Al-Amin MF, Alam MJ. Development and quality evaluation of mushroom (Pleurotus sajor-caju) enriched biscuits. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture. 2015;27(7):542–547.
- Charles M, Kyambadde D, Namugumya B. Effect of pretreatments and drying methods on chemical composition and sensory evaluation of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) powder and soup. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2014;38(1):457–465. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2012.00794.x
- Maray ARM, Mostafa MK, El-Fakhrany AE-DMA. Effect of pretreatments and drying methods on physico-chemical, sensory characteristics and nutritional value of oyster mushroom. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2017;42(1). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13352
- Farooq M, Rakha A, Hassan JU, Solangi IA, Shakoor A, Bakhtiar M, et al. Physicochemical and nutritional characterization of mushroom powder enriched muffins. Journal of Innovative Sciences. 2021;7(1):110–120. https://doi.org/10.17582/journal.jis/2021/18.104.22.168
- Öztürk M, Güncü BG. Effect of brine calcium concentration on the surface solubilization and texture of fresh perline Mozzarella cheese. Turkish Journal of Agriculture – Food Science and Technology. 2021;9(4):650–654. https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v9i4.650-654.3764
- Salehi F. Quality, physicochemical, and textural properties of dairy products containing fruits and vegetables: A review. Food Science and Nutrition. 2021;9(8):4666–4686. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.2430
- Gonzalez A, Nobre C, Simões LS, Cruz M, Loredo A, Rodríguez-Jasso RM, et al. Evaluation of functional and nutritional potential of a protein concentrate from Pleurotus ostreatus mushroom. Food Chemistry. 2021;346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128884
- Painuli S, Semwal P, Egbuna C. Mushroom: Nutraceutical, mineral, proximate constituents and bioactive component. In: Egbuna C, Dable Tupas G, editors. Functional foods and nutraceuticals. Bioactive components, formulations and innovations. Cham: Springer; 2020. pp. 307–336. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-42319-3_17
- Rashidi ANM, Yang TA. Nutritional and antioxidant values of oyster mushroom (P. sajor-caju) cultivated on rubber sawdust. International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology. 2016;6(2):161–164. https://doi.org/10.18517/ijaseit.6.2.610
- Zalewska M, Marcinkowska-Lesiak M, Onopiuk A. Physicochemical properties of white button mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) as affected by coating. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2017;42(2). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13419
- Radzki W, Sławinska A, Jabłonska-Rys E, Gustaw W. Antioxidant capacity and polyphenolics content in dried wild growing edible mushrooms. International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. 2014;16(1):65–75. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushr.v16.i1.60
- Mutukwa IB, Hall III CA, Cihacek L, Lee CW. Evaluation of drying method and pretreatment effects on the nutritional and antioxidant properties of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus). Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2019;43(4). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13910
- Nguyen TH, Nagasaka R, Ohshima T. Effects of ex-traction solvents, cooking procedures and storage conditions on the contents of ergothioneine and phenolic compounds and anti-oxidative capacity of the cultivated mushroom Flammulina velutipes. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2012;47(6):1193–1205. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2012.02959.x
- Choi Y, Lee SM, Chun J, Lee HB, Lee J. Influence of heat treatment on the antioxidant activities and polyphenolic compounds of Shiitake (Lentinus edodes) mushroom. Food Chemistry. 2006;99(2):381–387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.08.004
- Chirinang P, Intarapichet K-O. Amino acids and antioxidant properties of the oyster mushrooms, Pleurotus ostreatus and Pleurotus sajor-caju. Science Asia. 2009;35:326–331. https://doi.org/10.2306/scienceasia1513-1874.2009.35.326
- Reis FS, Barros L, Martins A, Ferreira ICFR. Chemical composition and nutritional value of the most widely appreciated cultivated mushrooms: An inter-species comparative study. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2012;50(2):191–197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2011.10.056
- Tsai S-Y, Wu T-P, Huang S-J, Mau J-L. Antioxidant properties of ethanolic extracts from culinary-medicinal button mushroom Agaricus bisporus (J. Lange) Imbach (Agaricomycetideae) harvested at different stages of maturity. International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. 2008;10(2):127–137. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushr.v10.i2.30
- Garcia MM, Paula VB, Olloqui ND, García DF, Combarros-Fuertes P, Estevinho LM, et al. Effect of different cooking methods on the total phenolic content, antioxidant activity and sensory properties of wild Boletus edulis mushroom. International Journal of Gastronomy and Food Science. 2021;26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgfs.2021.100416
- Yeriikaya O, Akan E, Bayram OY, Karaman AD, Kinik O. The impact of medicinal and aromatic plant addition on antioxidant, total phenolic, antimicrobial activities, and microbiological quality of Mozzarella cheese. International Food Research Journal. 2021;28(3):508–516. https://doi.org/10.47836/ifrj.28.3.10
- Cateni F, Gargano ML, Procida G, Venturella G, Cirlincione F, Ferraro V. Mycochemicals in wild and cultivated mushrooms: Nutrition and health. Phytochemistry Reviews. 2022;21(2):339–383. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11101-021-09748-2
Rahman MdA, Roy J, Mahomud MdS. Textural and antioxidant properties of mozzarella cheese fortified with dehydrated oyster mushroom flour. Foods and Raw Materials. 2023;11(2):251–258. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2023-2-574