AbstractSucrose crystallization depends on various thermal phenomena, which makes them an important scientific issue for the sugar industry. However, the rationale and theory of sucrose crystallization still remain understudied. Among the least described problems is the effect of time and temperature on the condensation rate of sucrose molecules on crystallization nuclei in a supersaturated sugar solution. This article introduces a physical and mathematical heat transfer model for this process, as well as its numerical analysis.
The research featured a supersaturated sugar solution during sucrose crystallization and focused on the condensation of sucrose molecules on crystallization nuclei. The study involved the method of physical and mathematical modeling of molecular mass transfer, which was subjected to a numerical analysis.
While crystallizing in a vacuum boiling pan, a metastable solution went through an exothermal reaction. In a supersaturated solution, this reaction triggered a transient crystallization of solid phase molecules and a thermal release from the crystallization nuclei into the liquid phase. This exogenous heat reached 39.24 kJ/kg and affected the mass transfer kinetics. As a result, the temperature rose sharply from 80 to 86 °C.
The research revealed the effect of temperature and time on the condensation of solids dissolved during crystalline sugar production. The model involved the endogenous heat factor. The numerical experiment proved that the model reflected the actual process of sucrose crystallization. The obtained correlations can solve a number of problems that the modern sugar industry faces.
KeywordsVacuum boiling pan, sucrose, phase, metastable solution, heat, dissolution, condensation, crystallization
- Saifutdinov BR, Buryak AK. The influence of water–acetonitrile solvent composition on thermodynamic characteristics of adsorption of aromatic heterocycles on octadecyl-bonded silica gels. Colloid Journal. 2019;81(6):754–761. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1061933X19060176
- Saifutdinov BR, Buryak AK. Thermodynamics of the adsorption of isomeric dipyridyls and their derivatives from water–organic solutions on HYPERCARBTM porous graphitic carbon. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 2019;93(9):1796–1803. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0036024419090218
- Makhmudov FT, Raqimli MA, Aliyeva SA, Ilyasova KA, Jabbarova ZA, Nuriyev AN. Thermodynamics of sorption processes of toxic components of organic nature from solutions on solid sorbents. Sorption and Chromatography Processes. 2018;18(3):338–345. (In Russ.).
- Sagitova AF, Kukovinets OS, Mudarisova RKh. Study of the sorption activity of pharmacophore-containing pectins with respect to cations of cobalt (II). Sorption and Chromatography Processes. 2018;18(4):527–535. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17308/sorpchrom.2018.18/560
- Sharma T, Bandral A, Bamezai RK, Kumar A. Interaction behavior of sucrose in aqueous tributylmethylammonium chloride solutions at various temperatures: A volumetric, ultrasonic and viscometric study. Chemical Thermodynamics and Thermal Analysis. 2022;6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctta.2022.100043
- Saifutdinov BR, Buryak AK. Thermodynamics of the adsorption of isomeric dipyridyls and their derivatives from water-organic solutions on Hypercarb™ porous graphitic carbon. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 2019;93(9):1392–1400. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.1134/S004445371909022X
- Fedoseeva EN, Fedoseev VB. Possibilities and peculiarities of spray technologies in organic synthesis. Condensed Matter and Interphases. 2020;22(3):397–405. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17308/kcmf.2020.22/3001
- Slavyansky AA, Nikolaeva NV, Gribkova VA, Lebedeva NN, Mitroshina DP. Improvement of the technology of separation of utfel i crystallization in batch centrifuges. Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference “Biotechnology, Ecology, Nature Management”; 2021; Moscow. London: European Publisher; 2022. p. 309–318. https://doi.org/10.15405/epls.22011.37
- Guo W, Zhang Z, Hacking J, Heeres HJ, Yue J. Selective fructose dehydration to 5-hydroxymethylfurfural from a fructose-glucose mixture over a sulfuric acid catalyst in a biphasic system: Experimental study and kinetic modelling. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2021;409. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.128182
- Verma P, Iyer SR, Shah N, Mahajani S. Insights into the crystallization phenomenon in the production of non-centrifugal sugar. Journal of Food Engineering. 2021;290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2020.110259
- Wang Y, Zheng Y, Zhou R, Ma M. Kinetic studies on soluble sugar profile in rice during storage: Derivation using the Laplace transform. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2022;76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2021.102915
- Bharti MK, Bansal L, Chalia S. Catalytic potential of microsized additives in enhancing the linear burn rate of potassium nitrate-sucrose based composite solid propellant strands. International Journal of Energetic Materials and Chemical Propulsion. 2021;20(4):61–77. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJEnergeticMaterialsChemProp.2021038209
- Semenov EV, Slavyanskiy AA, Gribkova VA, Mitroshina DP, Lebedeva NN. Assessment of the influence of the thermodynamic factor on the crystallization process in a vacuum apparatus. News of Institutes of Higher Education. Food Technology. 2021;383–384(5–6):42–47. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.26297/0579-3009.2021.5-6.8
- Shtangeev KO, Skorik KD, Shtangeeva NI. Thermotechnical and technological aspects of improving the product department of a beet sugar plant. Sugar. 2021;(12):20–25. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24412/2413-5518-2021-12-20-25
- Semenov EV, Slavyansky AA, Gribkova VA, Mitroshina DP, Antipov ST. Simulation of the growth of sucrose crystals in a sugar-containing solution. Proceedings of the Voronezh State University of Engineering Technologies. 2021;83(1):62–70. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.20914/2310-1202-2021-1-62-70
- Jamali SH, Westen TV, Moultos OA, Vlugt TJH. Optimizing nonbonded interactions of the OPLS force field for aqueous solutions of carbohydrates: How to capture both thermodynamics and dynamics. Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation. 2018;14(12):6690–6700. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jctc.8b00909
- Li X, Wang J, Wang T, Wang N, Zong S, Huang X, et al. Molecular mechanism of crystal nucleation from solution. Science China Chemistry. 2021;64(9):1460–1481. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11426-021-1015-9
- Kumagai H. Physical properties of foods and the effect of water on them-water activity and glass transition. Japan Journal of Food Engineering. 2020;21(4):161–169. https://doi.org/10.11301/jsfe.20584
- Ebrahimi N, Sadeghi R, Ameen BAH. Thermodynamics of clouding process in 1-butanol + water mixtures in the presence and absence of sugars. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2019;278:164–174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2019.01.011
- Lykov AV. Theory of thermal conductivity. Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola; 1967. 599 p. (In Russ.).
- Tao Y, Yan B, Zhang N, Wang M, Zhao J, Zhang H, et al. Do non-thermal effects exist in microwave heating of glucose aqueous solutions? Evidence from molecular dynamics simulations. Food Chemistry. 2022;375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.131677
- Slavyanskiy AA, Semenov EV, Babakin BS, Lebedeva NN. Intensification of cooling fluid process. Foods and Raw Materials. 2020;8(1):171–176. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2020-1-171-176