Copyright ©Pui et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Received 21 January, 2022 |
Accepted in revised form 14 April, 2022 |
Published 23 June, 2022
Foods and Raw Materials, 2022, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 235-251
This review features different powdered fruits with optimal storage stability and physiochemical parameters. Spray-drying parameters, such as temperatures and flow rate, can affect the physical properties of powders. Carrier agents provide powders with various favorable qualities, e.g. good flow rate. Commercial spray-drying of fruit juice knows different carrier agents.
The review involved scientific and methodological publications, conference papers, patents, regulatory papers, and Internet resources. They were subjected to grouping, categorization, comparative analysis, and consolidation.
Inlet temperature, maltodextrin concentration, and air flow rate of spray-drying increased the powder yield but decreased the moisture content. Inlet temperature, maltodextrin concentration, and feed flow rate affected the solubility. Effects of atomization rate, air flow rate and free flow rate were assessed in terms of yield, moisture content, hygroscopicity, and solubility.
The article introduces the fundamentals of spray-drying and describes the effect of each spray-drying parameter on the powder quality. The list of parameters included inlet air temperature, atomization rate, air flow, and feed flow rate. We also evaluated the impacts of various carrier agents on the powder quality. The article contributed to a better understanding of how variable parameters affect the quality of food powders. The results provide the food industry with better choice options to adopt certain parameters for specific production needs.
, atomization rate
, flow rate
, powder properties
- Fellows P. Dehydration. In: Fellows P, editor. Food Processing Technology: Principles and Practice. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2000. pp. 311–340.
- Doymaz I, Kocayigit F. Drying and rehydration behaviours of convection drying of green peas. Drying Technology. 2011;29(11):1273–1282. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2011.591713
- Souza M, Mesquita A, Souza P, Borges G, Silva T, Converti A, et al. New functional non-dairy mixed tropical fruit juice microencapsulated by spray drying: Physicochemical characterization, bioaccessibility, genetic identification and stability. LWT. 2021;152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2021.112271
- Muzaffar K, Nayik GA, Kumar P. Production of fruit juice powders by spray drying technology. International Journal of Advance Research in Science and Engineering. 2018;7(3):59–67.
- Wang W, Zhou W. Characterization of spray-dried soy sauce powders using maltodextrin as carrier. Journal of Food Engineering. 2012;109(3):399–405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.11.012
- Perez NE, Schmalko ME. Convective drying of pumpkin: Influence of pretreatment and drying temperature. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2009;32(1):88–103. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4530.2007.00200.x
- Abadio FDB, Domingues AM, Borges SV, Oliveira VM. Physical properties of powdered pineapple (Ananas comosus) juice – Effect of malt dextrin concentration and atomization speed. Journal of Food Engineering. 2004;64(3):285–287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2003.10.010
- Tonon RV, Brabet C, Pallet D, Brat P, Hubinger MD. Physicochemical and morphological characterisation of açai (Euterpe oleraceae Mart.) powder produced with different carrier agents. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2009;44(10):1950–1958. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2009.02012.x
- Chew S-C, Tan C-H, Pui L-P, Chong P-N, Gunasekaran B, Lin NK. Encapsulation technologies: A tool for functional foods development. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering. 2019;8(5S):154–160.
- Masters K. Spray drying handbook. Harlow: Longman Scientific and Technical; 1991. 725 p.
- Pui LP, Karim R, Yusof YA, Wong CW, Ghazali HM. Optimization of spray-drying parameters for the production of “Cempedak” (Artocarpus integer) fruit powder. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization. 2020;14(6):3238–3249. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11694-020-00565-3
- Gopinathan M, Yusof YA, Pui LP. Effects of different drying methods on the physicochemical and antioxidant content of “cempedak” (Artocarpus integer L.) powder. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2020;44(12). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14966
- Loo YY, Pui LP. Storage stability of kuini powder in two packaging aluminum laminated polyethylene and polyethylene terephthalate. Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences. 2020;24(5):657–669.
- Cano-Chauca M, Stringheta PC, Ramos AM, Cal-Vidal J. Effect of the carriers on the microstructure of mango powder obtained by spray drying and its functional characterization. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2005;6(4):420–428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2005.05.003
- Sobulska M, Zbicinski I. Advances in spray drying of sugar-rich products. Drying Technology. 2021;39(12):1774–1799. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2020.1832513
- Bhandari BR, Dutta N, Howes T. Problems associated with spray drying of sugar-rich food. Drying Technology. 1997;15(2):671–684. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373939708917253
- Youssefi S, Ehmam-Djomeh Z, Mousavi MS. Comparison of Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Response Surface Methodology (RSM) in the prediction of quality parameters of spray-dried pomegranate juice. Drying Technology. 2009;27(7):910–917. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373930902988247
- Papadakis SE, Gardeli C, Tzia C. Raisin extract powder: Production, physical and sensory properties. Proceedings of the 11th international drying symposium IDS’98; 1998; Halkidiki. Halkidiki: Ziti Editions; 1998. p. 1207–1213.
- Bhandari BR, Snoussi A, Dumoulin ED, Lebert A. Spray drying of concentrated fruit juices. Drying Technology. 1993;11(5):1081–1092. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373939308916884
- Grabowski JA, Truong V-D, Daubert CR. Spray-drying of amylase hydrolyzed sweetpotato puree and physicochemical properties of powder. Journal of Food Science. 2006;71(5):E209–E217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2006.00036.x
- Sasikumar R, Das M, Deka SC. Process optimization for the production of blood fruit powder by spray drying technique and its quality evaluation. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2020;57(6):2269–2282. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-020-04264-1
- Parihari A. Performance study of spray dryer using various salt solutions. Masters thesis. Rourkela: National Institute of Technology; 2009. 132 p.
- Patel RP, Patel MP, Suthar AM. Spray drying technology: An overview. Indian Journal of Science Technology. 2009;2(10):44–47.
- Goula AM, Adamopoulos KG. Spray drying of tomato pulp: Effect of feed concentration. Drying Technology. 2004;22(10):2309–2330. https://doi.org/10.1081/DRT-200040007
- Goula AM, Adamopoulos KG. Effect of maltodextrin addition during spray drying of tomato pulp in dehumidified air: I. Drying kinetics and product recovery. Drying Technology. 2008;26(1):714–725. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373930802046369
- Tonon RV, Brabet C, Hubinger MD. Influence of process conditions on the physicochemical properties of acai (Euterpe oleraceae Mart.) powder produced by spray drying. Journal of Food Engineering. 2008;88(3):411–418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2008.02.029
- Mishra P, Mishra S, Mahanta CL. Effect of maltodextrin concentration and inlet temperature during spray drying on physicochemical and antioxidant properties of amla (Emblica officinalis) juice powder. Food Bioproducts and Processing. 2014;92(3):252–258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2013.08.003
- Villacrez JL, Carriazo JG, Osorio C. Microencapsulation of Andes berry (Rubus glaucus Benth.) aqueous extract by spray drying. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2014;7(5):1445–1456. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-013-1172-y
- Fang Z, Bhandari B. Effect of spray drying and storage on the stability of bayberry polyphenols. Food Chemistry. 2011;129(3):1139–1147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.05.093
- Singh A, Kumar S, Sharma HK. Effect of enzymatic hydrolysis on the juice yield from bael fruit (Aegle marmelos Correa) pulp. American Journal of Food Technology. 2012;7(2):62–72. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajft.2012.62.72
- Bakowska-Barczak AM, Kolodziejczyk PP. Black currant polyphenols: Their storage stability and microencapsulation. Industrial Crops and Products. 2011;34(2):1301–1309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2010.10.002
- Fazeli M, Emam-Djomeh Z, Kalbasi Ashtari A, Omid M. Effect of spray drying conditions and feed composition on the physical properties of black mulberry juice powder. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 2012;90(4):667–675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2012.04.006
- Ferrari CC, Germer SPM, de Aguirre JM. Effects of spray-drying conditions on the physicochemical properties of blackberry powder. Drying Technology. 2012;30(2):154–163. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2011.628429
- Berg S, Bretz M, Hubbermann EM, Schwarz K. Influence of different pectins on powder characteristics of microencapsulated anthocyanins and their impact on drug retention of shellac coated granulate. Journal of Food Engineering. 2012;108(1):158–165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.06.035
- Solval KM, Sundarajan S, Alfaro L, Sathivel S. Development of cantaloupe (Cucumis melo) juice powders using spray drying technology. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2012;46(1):287–293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2011.09.017
- Murugesan R, Orsat V. Spray drying of elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) juice to maintain its phenolic content. Drying Technology. 2011;29(14):1729–1740. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2011.602485
- Kha TC, Nguyen MH, Roach PD. Effects of spray drying conditions on the physicochemical and antioxidant properties of the Gac (Momordica cochinchinensis) fruit aril powder. Journal of Food Engineering. 2010;98(3):385–392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2010.01.016
- Mahendran T. Physico-chemical properties and sensory characteristics of dehydrated guava concentrate: Effect of drying method and maltodextrin concentration. Tropical Agricultural Research and Extension. 2010;13(2):49–54. https://doi.org/10.4038/tare.v13i2.3138
- Patil V, Chauhan AK, Singh RP. Optimization of the spray-drying process for developing guava powder using response surface methodology. Powder Technology. 2014;253:230–236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2013.11.033
- Thankitsunthorn C, Laohaprasit N, Srzednicki G. Effects of drying temperature on quality of dried Indian gooseberry powder. International Food Research Journal. 2009;16(3):335–361.
- Zareifard MR, Niakousari M, Shokrollahi Z, Javadian S. A feasibility study on the drying of lime juice: The relationship between the key operating parameters of a small laboratory spray dryer and product quality. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2012;5(5):1896–1906. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-011-0689-1
- Shrestha AK, Ua-Arak T, Adhikari BP, Howes T, Bhandari BR. Glass transition behavior of spray dried orange juice powder measured by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and thermal mechanical compression test (TMCT). International Journal of Food Properties. 2007;10(3):661–673. https://doi.org/10.1080/10942910601109218
- Tze NL, Han CP, Yusof YA, Ling CN, Talib RA, Taip FS, et al. Physicochemical and nutritional properties of spray-dried pitaya fruit powder as natural colorant. Food Science and Biotechnology. 2012;21(3):675–682. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-012-0088-z
- Horuz E, Altan A, Maskan M. Spray drying and process optimization of unclarified pomegranate (Punica granatum) juice. Drying Technology. 2012;30(7):787–798. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2012.663434
- Cai YZ, Corke H. Production and properties of spray-dried Amaranthus betacyanin pigments. Journal of Food Science. 2000;65(7):1248–1252. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb10273.x
- Bakar J, Ee SC, Muhammad K, Hashim DM, Adzahan N. Spray-drying optimization for red pitaya peel (Hylocereus polyrhizus). Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2013;6(5):1332–1342. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-012-0842-5
- Vidović SS, Vladić JZ, Vaštag ZG, Zeković ZP, Popović LM. Maltodextrin as a carrier of health benefit compounds in Satureja montana dry powder obtained by spray drying technique. Powder Technology. 2014;258:209–215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2014.03.038
- Selvamuthukumaran M, Khanum F. Optimization of spray drying process for developing seabuckthorn fruit juice powder using response surface methodology. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;51(12):3731–3739. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-012-0901-y
- Chengini GR, Ghabadian B. Effect of spray-drying conditions on physical properties of orange juice powder. Drying Technology. 2005;23(3):657–668. https://doi.org/10.1081/DRT-200054161
- Goula AM, Adamopoulos KG. Spray drying of tomato pulp- in dehumidified air: II. The effect on powder properties. Journal of Food Engineering. 2005;66(1):35–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.02.031
- Quek SY, Chok NK, Swedlund P. The physicochemical properties of spray-dried watermelon powders. Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification. 2007;46(5):386–392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2006.06.020
- Mani S, Jaya S, Das H. Sticky issues on spray drying of fruit juices [Internet]. [cited 2021 Nov 20]. Available from: https://www.engr.usask.ca/societies/asae-csae/papers/asaepapermbsk02-201.pdf
- Adhikari B, Howes T, Bhandari BR, Troung V. Effect of addition of maltodextrin on drying kinetics and stickiness of sugar and acid-rich foods during convective drying: experiments and modelling. Journal of Food Engineering. 2004;62(1):53–68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(03)00171-7
- Rodríguez-Hernández GR, González-García R, Grajales-Lagunes A, Ruiz-Cabrera MA, Abud-Archila M. Spray- drying of cactus pear juice (Opuntia streptacantha): Effect on the physicochemical properties of powder and reconstituted product. Drying Technology. 2005;23(4):955–973. https://doi.org/10.1080/DRT-200054251
- Fitzpatrick JJ, Hodnett M, Twomey M, Cerqueira PSM, O’Flynn J, Roos YH. Glass transition and the flowability and caking of powders containing amorphous lactose. Powder Technology. 2007;178(2):119–128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2007.04.017
- Phoungchandang S, Sertwasana A. Spray-drying of ginger juice and physicochemical properties of ginger powders. ScienceAsia. 2010;36(1):40–45.
- Chen XD, Patel KC. Manufacturing better quality food powders from spray drying and subsequent treatments. Drying Technology. 2008;26(11):1313–1318. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373930802330904
- Jittanit W, Niti-Att D, Techanuntachaikul O. Study of spray drying of pineapple juice using maltodextrin as an adjunct. Chiang Mai Journal of Science. 2010;37(3):498–506.
- Moreira GEG, Maia Costa MG, de Souza ACR, de Brito ES, de Medeiros MFD, de Azeredo HMC. Physical properties of spray dried acerola extract as affected by temperature and drying aids. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2009;42(2):641–645. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.07.008
- Chen Q, Bi J, Zhou Y, Liu X, Wu X, Chen R. Multi-objective optimization of spray drying of jujube (Zizyphus jujuba Miller) powder using response surface methodology. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2014;7(6):1807–1818. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-013-1171-z
- Phisut N. Spray drying technique of fruit juice powder: Some factors influencing the properties of product. International Food Research Journal. 2012;19(4):1297–1306.
- Pui LP, Karim R, Yusof YA, Wong CW, Ghazali HM. Effects of inlet temperature and carrier concentration on spray-dried “cempedak” (Artocarpus integer) fruit powder and its reconstitution properties. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Technologia Alimentaria. 2021;20(2):135–148. https://doi.org/10.17306/J.AFS.0801
- Obón JM, Castellar MR, Alacid M, Fernandez-Lopez JA. Production of a red–purple food colorant from Opuntia stricta fruits by spray drying and its application in food model systems. Journal of Food Engineering. 2009;90(4):471–479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2008.07.013
- Gong Z, Zhang M, Mujumdar A, Sun J. Spray drying and agglomeration of instant bayberry powder. Drying Technology 2008;26(1):116–121. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373930701781751
- Aragüez‐Fortes Y, Robaina‐Morales LM, Pino JA. Optimization of the spray‐drying parameters for developing guava powder. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2019;42(6). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.13230
- Wong CW, Pui LP, Ng JML. Production of spray-dried Sarawak pineapple (Ananas comosus) powder from enzyme liquefied puree. International Food Research Journal. 2015;22(4):1631–1636.
- Saha A, Jindal N. Process optimization for the preparation of bael (Aegle marmelos correa) fruit powder by spray drying. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. 2018;3(4):44–51.
- Tonon RV, Freitas SS, Hubinger MD. Spray drying of açai (Euterpe oleraceae Mart.) juice: Effect of inlet air temperature and type of carrier agent. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2011;35(5):691–700. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2011.00518.x
- Reineccius GA. The spray drying of food flavors. Drying Technology. 2004;22(6):1289–1324. https://doi.org/10.1081/DRT-120038731
- Nijdam JJ, Langrish TAG. The effect of surface composition on the functional properties of milk powders. Journal of Food Engineering. 2006;77(4):919–925. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.08.020
- Al-Kahtani HA, Hassan BH. Spray drying of roselle (Hibiscus sabdarifa L.) extract. Journal of Food Science. 1990;55(4):1073–1076. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb01601.x
- Gawałek, J. Effect of spray dryer scale size on the properties of dried beetroot juice. Molecules. 2021;26(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26216700
- Tee LH, Luqman Chuah A, Pin KY, Abdull Rashih A, Yusof YA. Optimization of spray drying process parameters of Piper betle L. (Sirih) leaves extract coated with maltodextrin. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2012;4(3):1833–1841.
- Goula AM, Adamopoulos KG. A new technique for spray drying orange juice concentrate. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2010;11(2):342–351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2009.12.001
- Moβhammer MR, Stintzing FC, Carle R. Evaluation of different methods for the production of juice concentrates and fruit powders from cactus pear. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2006;7(4):275–287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2006.04.003
- Roustapour OR, Hosseinalipour M, Ghobadian B. An experimental investigation of lime juice drying in a pilot plant spray dryer. Drying Technology. 2006;24(2):181–188. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373930600559035
- Mestry AP, Mujumdar AS, Thorat BN. Optimization of spray drying of an innovative functional food: Fermented mixed juice of carrot and watermelon. Drying Technology. 2011;29(10):1121–1131. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2011.566968
- Bazaria B, Kumar P. Optimization of spray drying parameters for beetroot juice powder using response surface methodology (RSM). Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. 2018;17(4):408–415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssas.2016.09.007
- Ribeiro CMCM, Magliano LCSA, de Costa MMA, Bezerra TKA, da Silva FLH, Maciel MIS. Optimization of the spray drying process conditions for acerola and seriguela juice mix. Food Science and Technology. 2019;39:48–55. https://doi.org/10.1590/fst.36217
- Chegini GR, Ghobadian B. Spray dryer parameters for fruit juice drying. World Journal of Agricultural Research. 2007;3(2):230–236
- Janiszewska E, Witrowa-Rajchert D. Effect of spray drying parameters on rosemary aroma microencapsulation. Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Science. 2007;57(3):41–43.
- Myers RH, Montgomery DC, Anderson-Cook CM. Response surface methodology: Process and product optimization using designed experiments, 3rd edition. New York: Wiley; 2009. 704 p.
- Murua-Pagola B, Beristain-Guevara CI, Martinez-Bustos F. Preparation of starch derivatives using reactive extrusion and evaluation of modified starches as shell materials for encapsulation of flavoring agents by spray drying. Journal of Food Engineering. 2009;91(3):380–386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2008.09.035
- Etzbach L, Meinert M, Faber T, Klein C, Schieber A, Weber F. Effects of carrier agents on powder properties, stability of carotenoids, and encapsulation efficiency of goldenberry (Physalis peruviana L.) powder produced by co-current spray drying. Current Research in Food Science. 2020;3;73–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crfs.2020.03.002
- de Oliveira MA, Maia GA, de Figueirado RW, de Souza ACR, de Brito ES, de Azeredo HMC. Addition of cashew tree gum to maltodextrin-based carriers for spray drying of cashew apple juice. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2009;44(3):641–645. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2008.01888.x
- BeMiller JN, Whistler RL. Carbohydrates. In: Fennema OR, editor. Food chemistry. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1996. pp. 157–223.
- Lee JKM, Taip FS, Abdullah HZ. Effectiveness of additives in spray drying performance: a review. Food Research. 2018;2(6):486–499. https://doi.org/10.26656/fr.2017.2(6).134
- Bicudo MOP, Jó J, de Oliveira GA, Chaimsohn FP, Sierakowski MR, de Freitas RA, et al. Microencapsulation of Juçara (Euterpe edulis M.) pulp by spray-drying using different carriers and drying temperatures. Drying Technology. 2015;33(2):153–161. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2014.937872
- Krishnan JR. Development of spray dried strawberry juice powder. Pahang: University Malaysia Pahang; 2008.
- Pui LP, Karim R, Yusof YA, Wong CW, Ghazali HM. Anti-caking agent effects on the properties of spray-dried “cempedak” fruit powder. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science. 2020;43(4):621–635. https://doi.org/10.47836/pjtas.43.4.15
- Chang LS, Tan YL, Pui LP. Production of spray-dried enzyme-liquefied papaya (Carica papaya L.) powder. Brazilian Journal of Food Technology. 2020;23. https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-6723.18119
- Chang LS, Eau Yong SM, Pui LP. Production of spray-dried “Terung Asam” (Solanum lasiocarpum Dunal) powder. Walailak Journal of Science and Technology. 2020;18(1). https://doi.org/10.48048/wjst.2021.6922
- Henao-Ardila A, Quintanilla-Carvajal MX, Moreno FL. Combination of freeze concentration and spray drying for the production of feijoa (Acca sellowiana b.) pulp powder. Powder Technology. 2019;344:190–198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2018.12.015
- Dantas D, Pasquali MA, Cavalcanti-Mata M, Duarte ME, Lisboa HM. Influence of spray drying conditions on the properties of avocado powder drink. Food Chemistry. 2018; 266:284–291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.06.016
- Naji-Tabasi S, Emadzadeh B, Shahidi-Noghabi M, Abbaspour M, Akbari E. Physico-chemical and antioxidant properties of barberry juice powder and its effervescent tablets. Chemical and Biological Technologies in Agriculture. 2021;8(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40538-021-00220-z
- Farimin AOA, Nordin E. Physical properties of powdered roselle-pineapple juice – effects of maltodextrin. Thesis of the National Conference on Postgraduate Research (NCON-PGR); 2009; Pahang. Pahang: University Malaysia Pahang; 2009. p. 90–97.
- Karaaslan İ, Dalgıç AC. Spray drying of liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) extract. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;51(11):3014–3025. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-012-0847-0
- Leyva-Porras C, Saavedra-Leos MZ, López-Martinez LA, Espinosa-Solis V, Terán-Figueroa Y, Toxqui-Terán A, et al. Strawberry juice powders: Effect of spray-drying conditions on the microencapsulation of bioactive components and physicochemical properties. Molecules. 2021;26(18). https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26185466
- Pua CK, Hamid NSA, Rusul G, Rahman RA. Production of drum-dried jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) powder with different concentration of soy lecithin and gum Arabic. Journal of Food Engineering. 2007;78(2):630–636. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.10.041
- Andrade I, Flores H. Optimization of spray drying of roselle extract (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.). Proceedings of the 14th International Drying Symposium; 2004; São Paulo. São Paulo; 2004. p. 597–604.
- Li Y, Tang B, Chen J, Lai P. Microencapsulation of plum (Prunus salicina Lindl.) phenolics by spray Drying Technology and storage stability. Food Science and Technology. 2018;38(3):530–536. https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-457x.09817
- Pandey S, Poonia A, Rai S. Optimization of spray drying conditions for the production of quality ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) fruit powder. Nutrition and Food Science. 2019;49(6):1088–1098. https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-12-2018-0339
How to quote?
Pui Liew Phing, Lejaniya Abdul Kalam Saleena Effects of spray-drying parameters on physicochemical properties of powdered fruits. Foods and Raw Materials, 2022, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 235-251
Kemerovo State University
2308-4057 (Print) /