Copyright ©Rada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Received 21 January, 2022 |
Accepted in revised form 14 April, 2022 |
Published 23 June, 2022
Foods and Raw Materials, 2022, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 206-215
Cadastral and geodetic land works are expensive, which makes aerial photography extremely valuable for land traceability and inventory. The present research objective was to develop a new digital survey technology for registration of agricultural lands. We assessed the accuracy of the new method and evaluated its decision support options. The study featured the case of the Kemerovo Region (Kuzbass), Russia.
The aerial survey took place in 2021 and involved 17 municipalities of the Kemerovo Region. The software and hardware complex included an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and a module for aerial photography. Photogrammetric, cartometric, and satellite methods were used to define the coordinates of feature points. We developed new software (Sovhoz.avi) to perform the land inventory.
The photogrammetric and cartographic methods proved efficient in determining the feature points and boundaries of land plots. They also appeared accurate enough for land inventory and decision support. The study updated the available land inventory data. About 30% of all land plots were recorded incorrectly; some plots marked as agricultural appeared to belong to the local forest reserves or urban territories. Incorrect data (1.64%) were excluded from the official inventory. The survey covered a total area of 41 000 ha and revealed 1700 illegally used land plots. The updated inventory of unused lands included 3825 new plots (163 400 ha), which can attract prospective investors.
The results can be used by the local authorities to make land management decisions and identify illegal land use.
, land inventory
, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV)
, aerial survey
, illegal land use
The research was conducted on the premises of the Research Equipment Sharing Center of Kemerovo State University
(KemSU), agreement No. 075-15-2021-694 dated August 5, 2021, between the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of
the Russian Federation (Minobrnauka) and Kemerovo State University (contract identifier RF----2296.61321X0032).
- Cooper M, Müller B, Cafiero C, Bayas JSL, Crespo Cuaresma J, Kharas H. Monitoring and projecting global hunger: Are we on track? Global Food Security. 2021;30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2021.100568
- Béné C, Bakker D, Chavarro MJ, Even B, Melo J, Sonneveld A. Global assessment of the impacts of COVID-19 on food security. Global Food Security. 2021;31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2021.100575
- Genkin AS, Mikheev AA. Influence of coronavirus crisis on food industry economy. Foods and Raw Materials. 2020;8(2):204–215. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2020-2-204-215
- Vogliano C, Murray L, Coad J, Wham C, Maelaua J, Kafa R, et al. Progress towards SDG 2: Zero hunger in Melanesia – A state of data scoping review. Global Food Security. 2021;29(1). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2021.100519
- Cintina V, Pukite V. Analysis of influencing factors of use of agricultural land. Research for Rural Development. 2018;1:181–187. https://doi.org/10.22616/rrd.24.2018.028
- Emran S-A, Krupnik TJ, Aravindakshan S, Kumar V, Pittelkow CM. Factors contributing to farm-level productivity and household income generation in coastal Bangladesh’s rice-based farming systems. PLoS ONE. 2021;16(9). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0256694
- McLaughlin D, Kinzelbach W. Food security and sustainable resource management. Water Resources Research. 2015;51(7):4966–4985. https://doi.org/10.1002/2015WR017053
- Fitton N, Alexander P, Arnell N, Bajzelj B, Calvin K, Doelman J, et al. The vulnerabilities of agricultural land and food production to future water scarcity. Global Environmental Change. 2019;58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2019.101944
- Faskhutdinova ER, Osintseva MA, Neverova OA. Prospects of using soil microbiome of mine tips for remediation of anthropogenically disturbed ecosystems. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2021;51(4):883–904. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2021-4-883-904
- Drozdova MYu, Pozdnyakova AV, Osintseva MA, Burova NV, Minina VI. The microorganism-plant system for remediation of soil exposed to coal mining. Foods and Raw Materials. 2021;9(2):406–418. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2021-2-406-418
- Bolfe ÉL, Jorge LAC, Sanches ID, Júnior AL, da Costa CC, Victoria DC, et al. Precision and digital agriculture: Adoption of technologies and perception of Brazilian farmers. Agriculture. 2020;10(12). https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture10120653
- Shang L, Heckelei T, Gerullis MK, Börner J, Rasch S. Adoption and diffusion of digital farming technologies – integrating farm-level evidence and system interaction. Agricultural Systems. 2021;190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2021.103074
- Rada AO, Fedulova EA, Kosinsky PD. New method for efficiency evaluation of digital technologies in agricultural sector. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2019;49(3):495–504. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2019-3-495-504
- Balafoutis A, Beck B, Fountas S, Vangeyte J, van der Wal TV, Soto I, et al. Precision agriculture technologies positively contributing to GHG emissions mitigation, farm productivity and economics. Sustainability. 2017;9(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/su9081339
- Aune JB, Coulibaly A, Giller KE. Precision farming for increased land and labour productivity in semi-arid West Africa. A review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. 2017;37(3). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13593-017-0424-z
- Adenso-Díaz B, Villa G. Crop planning in synchronized crop-demand scenarios: A biobjective optimization formulation. Horticulturae. 2021;7(10). https://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae7100347
- Cienciała A, Sobolewska-Mikulska K, Sobura S. Credibility of the cadastral data on land use and the methodology for their verification and update. Land Use Policy. 2021;102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2020.105204
- Kocur-Bera K, Frąszczak H. Coherence of cadastral data in land management – a case study of rural areas in Poland. Land. 2021;10(4). https://doi.org/10.3390/land10040399
- Roić M, Križanović J, Pivac D. An approach to resolve inconsistencies of data in the cadastre. Land. 2021;10(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/land10010070
- Malashevskyi M, Kuzin N, Palamar A, Malanchuk M. The problems of spatial ordering and taxation of agricultural lands. Geodesy and Cartography. 2017;43(4):166–172. https://doi.org/10.3846/20296991.2017.1412634
- Lisjak J, Roić M, Tomić H, Mastelić Ivić S. Croatian LADM profile extension for state-owned agricultural land management. Land. 2021;10(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/land10020222
- García-Morán A, Ulvund S, Unger E-M, Bennett RM. Exploring PPPs in support of fit-for-purpose land administration: A case study from Côte d’Ivoire. Land. 2021;10(9). https://doi.org/10.3390/land10090892
- Feroz S, Abu Dabous S. UAV-based remote sensing applications for bridge condition assessment. Remote Sensing. 2021;13(9). https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13091809
- He X, Yang X, Luo Z, Guan T. Application of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) thermal infrared remote sensing to identify coal fires in the Huojitu coal mine in Shenmu city, China. Scientific Reports. 2020;10(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-70964-5
- Tatum MC, Liu J. Unmanned aircraft system applications in construction. Procedia Engineering. 2017;196:167–175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.07.187
- Prosekov A, Kuznetsov A, Rada A, Ivanova S. Methods for monitoring large terrestrial animals in the wild. Forests. 2020;11(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/f11080808
- Tuśnio N, Wróblewski W. The efficiency of drones usage for safety and rescue operations in an open area: A case from Poland. Sustainability. 2022;14(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/su14010327
- Mohamed N, Al-Jaroodi J, Jawhar I, Idries A, Mohammed F. Unmanned aerial vehicles applications in future smart cities. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 2020;153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.05.004
- Montgomery K, Henry JB, Vann MC, Huseth AS, Mitasova H. Measures of canopy structure from low-cost UAS for monitoring crop nutrient status. Drones. 2020;4(3). https://doi.org/10.3390/drones4030036
- Puniach E, Bieda A, Ćwiąkała P, Kwartnik-Pruc A, Parzych P. Use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for updating farmland cadastral data in areas subject to landslides. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 2018;7(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi7080331
- Mantey S, Tagoe ND. Suitability of unmanned aerial vehicles for cadastral surveys. Ghana Mining Journal. 2019;19(1):1–8. https://doi.org/10.4314/gm.v19i1.1
- Šafář V, Potůčková M, Karas J, Tlustý J, Štefanová E, Jančovič M, et al. The use of UAV in cadastral mapping of the Czech Republic. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 2021;10(6). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi10060380
- Karabin M, Bakuła K, Łuczyński R. Verification of the geometrical representation of buildings in cadastre using UAV photogrammetry. Geomatics and Environmental Engineering. 2021;15(4):81–99. https://doi.org/10.7494/geom.2021.15.4.81
- Puniach E, Kwartnik-Pruc A. The use of laser scanning and unmanned aerial vehicles in construction surveying in the light of legal regulations in Poland. Journal of Applied Engineering Sciences. 2018;8(2):79–88.
- Brookman-Amissah M, Mantey S, Kumi-Boateng B, Aikins BE Masoud AB. Developing a workflow for the use of unmanned aerial vehicles for cadastral mapping in Ghana. Journal of Environment and Earth Science. 2021;11(2):23–31. https://doi.org/10.7176/JEES/11-2-04
How to quote?
Rada Artem O., Kuznetsov Aleksandr D. Digital inventory of agricultural land plots in the Kemerovo Region. Foods and Raw Materials, 2022, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 206-215
Kemerovo State University
2308-4057 (Print) /