АннотацияIntroduction. In recent years, scientists have been actively searching for medicinal plants containing biologically active substances with geroprotective properties to treat diseases of old age, in particular cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and others. Ginseng (Panax ginseng L.) is a promising source of geroprotective compounds. We aimed to select optimal parameters for extracting organic compounds from ginseng callus, suspension, and root cultures and analyze their qualitative composition.
Study objects and methods. We studied ginseng callus, suspension, and root cultures, as well as their extracts. Biologically active substances were extracted with 30 to 70% ethanol. Organic compounds were determined by thin-layer chromatography. The results for each plant were archived and analyzed for the presence of quercetin, mangiferin, luteolin, rutin, quercetin-2-D-glucoside, malvidin, as well as caffeic, cinnamic, ferulic, and sinapinic acids.
Results and discussion. We developed a procedure for screening solvents and performed a fractional qualitative analysis of biologically active substances extracted from ginseng. As a result, we established the optimal parameters for extracting biologically active substances from the dried biomass of ginseng cultures. In all cases, temperature and the ratio of solvent to biomass were the same (50°C, 1:5). However, the extraction time and ethanol concentration differed, amounting to 60 min and 50% for callus cultures, 30 min and 60% for suspension cultures, and 60 min and 70% for root cultures. The qualitative analysis of organic compounds showed the presence of rutin (0.25), quercetin (0.75), and mangiferin (0.57), as well as caffeic and sinapinic acids in the extracts.
Conclusion. Our set of experiments to isolate biologically active substances from ginseng callus, suspension, and root cultures resulted in selecting the optimal extraction parameters and analyzing the extracts for the presence of organic compounds.
Ключевые словаPlant cultures , Panax ginseng , ginseng , plant extracts , geroprotective properties , gerontology
ФИНАНСИРОВАНИЕThe research was financed by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation (Minobrnauka) No. FZSR-2020-0006 as part of the government task “Screening biologically active substances of plant origin with geroprotective properties and developing technology to obtain nutraceuticals that slow down aging”. Thin layer chromatography was performed at Kemerovo State University’s (KemSU) Core Facilities Center (CFC).
- Sameh S, Al-Sayed E, Labib RM, Singab AN. Genus spondias: a phytochemical and pharmacological review. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5382904.
- Mohamed MZ, Hafez HM, Hassan M, Ibrahim MA. PI3K/Akt and Nrf2/HO-1 pathways involved in the hepatoprotective effect of verapamil against thioacetamide toxicity in rats. Human and Experimental Toxicology. 2019;38(4):381–388. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0960327118817099.
- Abdelfattah-Hassan A, Shalaby SI, Khater SI, El-Shetry ES, Abd El Fadid H, Elsayed SA. Panax ginseng is superior to vitamin E as a hepatoprotector against cyclophosphamide-induced liver damage. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2019;46:95–102. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2019.08.005.
- Zaushintsena AV, Bruhachev EN, Belashova OV, Asyakina LK, Kurbanova MG, Vesnina AD, et al. Extracts of Rhodiola rosea L. and Scutellaria galericulata L. in functional dairy products. Foods and Raw Materials. 2020;8(1):163–170. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2020-1-163-170.
- Eremeeva NB, Makarova NV, Zhidkova EM, Maximova VP, Lesova EA. Ultrasonic and microwave activation of raspberry extract: antioxidant and anti-carcinogenic properties. Foods and Raw Materials. 2019;7(2):264–273. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2019-2-264-273.
- Zaushintsena AV, Milentyeva IS, Babich OO, Noskova SYu, Kiseleva TF, Popova DG, et al. Quantitative and qualitative profile of biologically active substances extracted from purple echinacea (Eshinasea Rurrurea L.) growing in the Kemerovo region: functional foods application. Foods and Raw Materials. 2019;7(1):84–92. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2019-1-84-92.
- Sukhikh SA, Astakhova LA, Golubcova YuV, Lukin AA, Prosekova EA, Milent`eva IS, et al. Functional dairy products enriched with plant ingredients. Foods and Raw Materials. 2019;7(2):428–438. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2019-2-428-438
- Al-Turki AI, El-Ziney MG, Abdel-Salam AM. Chemical and anti-bacterial characterization of aqueous extracts of oregano, marjoram, sage and licorice and their application in milk and labneh. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment. 2008;6(1):39–44.
- Babich O, Dyshlyuk L, Noskova S, Sukhikh S, Prosekov A, Ivanova S, et al. In vivo study of the potential of the carbohydrate-mineral complex from pine nut shells as an ingredient of functional food products. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre. 2019;18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcdf.2019.100185.
- Qi L-W, Wang C-Z, Yuan C-S. Isolation and analysis of ginseng: advances and challenges. Natural Product Reports. 2011;28(3):467–495. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c0np00057d.
- Kim S-J, Murthy HN, Hahn E.-J, Lee HL, Paek K-Y. Parameters affecting the extraction of ginsenosides from the adventitious roots of ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer). Separation and Purification Technology. 2007;56(3): 401–406. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2007.06.014.
- Wood JA, Bernards MA, Wan W-K, Charpentier PA. Extraction of ginsenosides from North American ginseng using modified supercritical carbon dioxide. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids. 2006;39(1):40–47. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.supflu.2006.01.016.
- Ligor T, Ludwiczuk A, Wolski T, Buszewski B. Isolation and determination of ginsenosides in American ginseng leaves and root extracts by LC-MS. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2005;383(7–8):1098–1105. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-005-0120-8.
- Sanchez-Camargo ADP, Ibanez E, Cifuentes A, Herrero M. Bioactives obtained from plants, seaweeds, microalgae and food by-products using pressurized liquid extraction and supercritical fluid extraction. Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry. 2017;76:27–51. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.coac.2017.01.001.
- Khaw K-Y, Parat M-O, Shaw PN, Falconer JR. Solvent supercritical fluid technologies to extract bioactive compounds from natural sources: A review. Molecules. 2017;22(7). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22071186.
- Ciko A-M, Jokić S, Šubarić D, Jerković I. Overview on the application of modern methods for the extraction of bioactive compounds from marine macroalgae. Marine Drugs. 2018;16(10). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md16100348.
- Zhang L, Liu P, Li L, Huang Y, Pu Y, Hou X, et al. Identification and antioxidant activity of flavonoids extracted from xinjiang jujube (Ziziphus jujube Mill.) leaves with ultra-high pressure extraction technology. Molecules. 2018;24(1). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24010122.
- Sun B-S, Gu L-J, Fang Z-M, Wang C-Y, Wang Z, Lee M-R, et al. Simultaneous quantification of 19 ginsenosides in black ginseng developed from Panax ginseng by HPLC-ELSD. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2009;50(1):15–22. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2009.03.025.
- Wan J-B, Li S-P, Chen J-M, Wang Y-T. Chemical characteristics of three medicinal plants of the Panax genus determined by HPLC-ELSD. Journal of Separation Science. 2007;30(6):825–832. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.200600359.
- Kwon J-H, Bélanger JMR, Paré JR. Optimization of microwave-assisted extraction (MAP) for ginseng components by response surface methodology. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2003;51(7):1807–1810. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/jf026068a.
- Hong M, Zhang Y, Li S, Tan HY, Wang N, Mu S, et al. A network pharmacology-based study on the hepatoprotective effect of Fructus Schisandrae. Molecules. 2017;22(10). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22101617.
- Wang Z-L, Wang S, Kuang Y, Hu Z-M, Qiao X, Ye M. A comprehensive review on phytochemistry, pharmacology, and flavonoid biosynthesis of Scutellaria baicalensis. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2018;56(1):465–484. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13880209.2018.1492620.
- Xu Y, Jiang H, Sun C, Adu-Frimpong M, Deng W, Yu J, et al. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of purified Rhodiola rosea polysaccharides. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2018;117:167–178. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.05.168.
- Ali M, Khan T, Fatima K, Ali QUA, Ovais M, Khalil AT, et al. Selected hepatoprotective herbal medicines: Evidence from ethnomedicinal applications, animal models, and possible mechanism of actions. Phytotherapy Research. 2018;32(2):199–215. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.5957.
- Huvaere K, Skibsted LH. Flavonoids protecting food and beverages against light. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2015;95(1):20–35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6796.
- Irfan M, Kwak Y-S, Han C-K, Huyn SH, Rhee MH. Adaptogenic effects of Panax ginseng on modulation of cardiovascular functions. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2020.03.001.
- Jovanovski E, Lea-Duvnjak-Smircic, Komishon A, Au-Yeung F, Zurbau A, Jenkins AL, et al. Vascular effects of combined enriched Korean Red ginseng (Panax Ginseng) and American ginseng (Panax Quinquefolius) administration in individuals with hypertension and type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2020;49. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2020.102338.
- Zhang F, Tang S, Zhao L, Yang X, Yao Y, Hou Z, et al. Stem-leaves of Panax as a rich and sustainable source of less-polar ginsenosides: comparison of ginsenosides from Panax ginseng, American ginseng and Panax notoginseng prepared by heating and acid treatment. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2020.01.003.
- Lee H-J, Jeong J, Alves AC, Han S-T, In G, Jeong WS, et al. Metabolomic understanding of intrinsic physiology in Panax ginseng during whole growing seasons. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2019;43(4):654–665. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2019.04.004.
- Dostalova L, Detvanova L, Kalhotka L. Antimicrobial activity of aqueous herbal extracts. MendelNet. 2014;6: 403–406.
- Li F, Cao Y, Luo Y, Liu T, Yan G, Chen L, et al. Two new triterpenoid saponins derived from the leaves of Panax ginseng and their antiinflammatory activity. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2019;43(4):600–605. DOI; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2018.09.004.
- Zhao B, Lv C, Lu J. Natural occurring polysaccharides from Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer: A review of isolation, structures, and bioactivities. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2019;133:324–336. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.03.229.
- Zhao B, Wang X, Liu H, Lv C, Lu J. Structural characterization and antioxidant activity of oligosaccharides from Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2020;150:737–745. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.02.016.
- Zheng X, Fu Z, Wang C, Zhang S, Dai M, Cai E, et al. Effect of Panax ginseng combined with Angelica sinensis on the dissolution of ginsenosides and in chemotherapy mice hematopoietic function. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. 2019;27(18):4211–4218. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2019.07.054.
- Poluchenie sukhikh ehkstraktov iz rasteniy i sozdanie na ikh osnove preparatov i biologicheski aktivnykh dobavok [Obtaining dry extracts from plants and creating preparations and biologically active additives] [Internet]. [cited 2018 Dec 24]. Available from: http://medical-diss.com/docreader/481996/a#?page=2.
- Risman M. Biologicheski aktivnye pishchevye dobavki. Neizvestnoe ob izvestnom [Biologically active food additives. The unknown about the known]. Moscow: Art-Business-Center; 1998. 496 p. (In Russ.).
- Vitman MA, Pilipenko TV. Use of complex additives from plant raw material in development of products of healthy nutrition. Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya, posvyashchennaya pamyati Vasiliya Matveevicha Gorbatova [International scientific and practical conference dedicated to the memory of V.M. Gorbatov]. 2016;(1): 74–75. (In Russ.).
- Cox S, Noronha L, Herald T, Bean S, Lee S-H, Perumal R, et al. Evaluation of ethanol-based extraction conditions of sorghum bran bioactive compounds with downstream anti-proliferative properties in human cancer cells. Heliyon. 2019;5(5). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2019.e01589.
- Chen X-X, Wu X-B, Chai W-M, Feng H-L, Shi Y, Zhou H-T, et al. Optimization of extraction of phenolics from leaves of Ficus virens. Journal of Zhejiang University: Science B. 2013;14(10):903–915. DOI: https://doi:10.1631/jzus.b1200365.