Все права защищены ©Kaur и др. Это статья с открытым доступом, распространяемая на условиях международной лицензии Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), позволяет другим распространять, перерабатывать, исправлять и развивать произведение, даже в коммерческих целях, при условии указания автора произведения.
Foods and Raw Materials, 2019, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 419-427
In tropical regions coconut is the tree of great significance: it provides millions of people with food, employment, and business opportunities. The fruit is referred to as ‘miracle fruit’ due to its inherent rich profile of macro- and micro-nutrients for human nutrition and health. Different products, such as coconut water, milk, raw kernels, oil and desiccated coconut are commercially processed. Coconut flour is a byproduct of coconut milk and oil industry which is made from coconut meal leftover after processing. Being a rich source of dietary fibre and protein, it has found numerous applications in different functional foods. Coconut flour can be successfully incorporated into various food products, such as bakery, extruded products, snacks, and sweets. It has antidiabetic and anticancer effects, prevents cardiovascular diseases, and improves immune function. Coconut flour is also gluten-free and its nutritional composition is quite comparable to that of wheat flour. Gluten-free food products enriched with coconut flour are a healthy and viable option for the people with celiac disease. In this paper, we summarised the present use of coconut flour. There is an apparent need to convert the food processing byproducts into functional ingredients in order to implement their environment-friendly and efficient utilisation.
, dietary fibres
, celiac disease
, functional food
- Foale M. Coconut Odyssey: The Bounteous Possibilities of the Tree of Life. Canberra: Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research; 2003. 132 p.
- Sadava DE, Hillis DM, Heller HC, Berenbaum M. Life: the science of biology. Macmillan; 2009. 389 p.
- DebMandal M, Mandal S. Coconut (Cocos nucifera L.: Arecaceae): In health promotion and disease prevention. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2011;4(3):241–247. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/s1995-7645(11)60078-3.
- Sangamithra A, Swamy GJ, Sorna PR, Chandrasekar V, Sasikala S, Hasker E. Coconut: an extensive review on value added products. Indian Food Industry Magazine. 2013;32(6):29–36.
- Production and Marketing of coconut in India, Ministry of agriculture [Internet]. [cited 2019 Apr 7]. Available from: https://agmarknet.gov.in/Others/ProductionCoconut.pdf. 2008.
- Panghal A, Kumar V, Dhull SB, Gat Y, Chhikara N. Utilization of dairy industry waste-whey in formulation of papaya RTS beverage. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science. 2017;5(2):168–174. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12944/crnfsj.5.2.14.
- Panghal A, Patidar R, Jaglan S, Chhikara N, Khatkar SK, Gat Y, et al. Whey valorization: current options and future scenario – a critical review. Nutrition & Food Science. 2018;48(3):520–535. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/nfs-01-2018-0017.
- Sardana RK, Chhikara N, Tanwar B, Panghal A. Dietary impact on esophageal cancer in humans: a review. Food & Function. 2018;9(4):1967–1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c7fo01908d.
- Jayasekara C, Gunathilake KDPP. Processing technologies for virgin coconut oil and coconut based Confectionaries and beverages. Proceedings of International Cococnut Summit. 2007:7–11.
- Agarwal RK, Bosco SJD. Extraction Processes of Virgin Coconut Oil. MOJ Food Processing and Technology. 2017;4(2):54–56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15406/mojfpt.2017.04.00087.
- Srivastava Y, Semwal AD, Sharma GK, Bawa AS. Utilization of virgin coconut meal (VCM) in the production of ready-to-eat Indian traditional sweet meat using response surface methodology. Food and Nutrition Sciences. 2011;2(3):214–221. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4236/fns.2011.23029.
- Panghal A, Chhikara N, Sindhu N, Jaglan, S. Role of food safety management systems in safe food production: A review. Journal of Food Safety. 2018;38(4). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfs.12464.
- Yalegama LLWC, Chavan JK. Studies on utilization of coconut flour as a source of cell wall polysaccharides. Tropical Agriculture Research. 2006;18:126–134.
- Satheesh N. Review on production and potential applications of virgin coconut oil. Annals. Food Science and Technology. 2015;16(1):115–126.
- Gunathilake KDPP, Abeyrathne YMRK. Incorporation of coconut flour into wheat flour noodles and evaluation of its rheological, nutritional and sensory characteristics. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2008;32(1):133–142. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0361.2003.02062.x.
- Khan MA, Mahesh C, Semwal AD, Sharma GK. Effect of virgin coconut meal (VCM) on the development of ricebased extruded snacks. International Journal of Advance Research. 2015;3(10):717–725.
- Igbabul BD, Bello FA, Ani E.C. Effect of fermentation on the proximate composition and functional properties of defatted coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) flour. Sky Journal of Food Science. 2014;3(5):34–40.
- Gunathilake KDPP, Yalegama C, Kumara AAN. Use of coconut flour as a source of protein and dietary fibre in wheat bread. Asian Journal of Food and Agro-Industry. 2009;2(3):386–395.
- Yalegama L, Karunaratne DN, Sivakanesan R, Jayasekara C. Chemical and functional properties of fibre concentrates obtained from by-products of coconut kernel. Food Chemistry. 2013;141(1):124–130. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.02.118.
- Trinidad TP, Valdez DH, Loyola AS, Mallillin AC. Askali FC, Castillo JC, et al. Glycemic index of different coconut (Cocos nucifera)-flour products in normal and diabetic subjects. British Journal of Nutrition. 2003;90(3):551–556. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2003944.
- Salil G, Nevin KG, Rajamohan T. Arginine-rich coconut kernel diet influences nitric oxide synthase activity in alloxandiabetic rats. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2012;92(9):1903–1908. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.5558.
- Hamer HM, Jonkers D, Venema K, Vanhoutvin S, Troost FJ, Brummer RJ. Review article: the role of butyrate on colonic function. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2008;27(2):104–119. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2007.03562.x.
- Trinidad TP, Loyola AS, Mallillin AC, Valdez DH, Askali FC, Castillo JC, et al. The cholesterol-lowering effect of coconut flakes in humans with moderately raised serum cholesterol. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2004;7(2):136–140. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/1096620041224148.
- Chen WJL, Anderson JW, Jennings D. Propionate may mediate the hypocholesterolemic effects of certain soluble plant fibers in cholesterol-fed rats. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. 1984;175(2):215–18.
- Amarasiri WADL, Dissanayake AS. Coconut fats. The Ceylon Medical Journal. 2006;51(2):47–51.
- Mini S, Rajamohan T. Influence of coconut kernel protein on lipid metabolism in alcohol fed rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2004;42(1):53–57.
- Fraser GE. Diet and coronary heart disease: beyond dietary fats and low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1994;59(5):1117S–1123S. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.5.1117S.
- Smith LF, Patterson J, Walker LT, Verghese M. Antioxidant Potential of Coconut Flour in Caco-2 Colon Cancer Cells. International Journal of Cancer Research. 2016;12(1):29–39. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3923/ijcr.2016.29.39.
- Hamer HM, Jonkers D, Bast A, Vanhoutvin S, Fischer M, Kodde A, et al. Butyrate modulates oxidative stress in the colonic mucosa of healthy humans. Clinical Nutrition. 2009;28(1):88–93. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2008.11.002.
- Bernstein H, Bernstein C, Payne CM, Dvorakova K, Garewal H. Bile acids as carcinogens in human gastrointestinal cancers. Mutation Research-Reviews in Mutation Research. 2005;589(1):47–65. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrrev.2004.08.001.
- Chhikara N, Devi HR, Jaglan S, Sharma P, Gupta P, Panghal A. Bioactive compounds, food applications and health benefits of Parkia speciosa (stinky beans): a review. Agriculture and Food Security. 2018;7(1). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40066-018-0197-x.
- Zheng YJ, Li Y, Zhang YL, Zhao SL. Purification, characterization and synthesis of antioxidant peptides from enzymatic hydrolysates of coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) cake protein isolates. Rsc Advances. 2016;6(59):54346–54356. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c6ra07086h.
- Khuwijitjaru P, Watsanit K, Adachi S. Carbohydrate content and composition of product from subcritical water treatment of coconut meal. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2012;18(1):225–229. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2011.11.010.
- Panghal A, Janghu S, Virkar K, Gat Y, Kumar V, Chhikara N. Potential non-dairy probiotic products – A healthy approach. Food Bioscience. 2018;21:80–89. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2017.12.003.
- Kovacs-Nolan J, Kanatani H, Nakamura A, Ibuki M, Mine Y. β-1,4-Mannobiose Stimulates Innate Immune Responses and Induces TLR4-Dependent Activation of Mouse Macrophages but Reduces Severity of Inflammation during Endotoxemia in Mice. Journal of Nutrition. 2013;143(3):384–391. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.112.167866.
- Franco ED, de Oliveira GMM, Luiz RR, Rosa G. Effect of hypoenergetic diet combined with consumption of coconut flour in overweight women. Nutricion Hospitalaria. 2015;32(5):2012–2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3305/nh.2015.32.5.9661.
- Nejad MR, Karkhane M, Marzban A, Mojarad EN, Rostami K. Gluten related disorders. Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench. 2012;5(1):S1–S7.
- Wolf WJ. Protein sources for use in food products.: Boca Raton: CRC Press; 1992. pp. 33–34.
- Wani AA, Sogi DS, Singh P, Sharma P, Pangal A. Dough-handling and cookie-making properties of wheat flourwatermelon protein isolate blends. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2012;5(5):1612–1621. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-010-0466-6.
- Panghal A, Khatkar BS, Singh U. Cereal proteins and their role in food industry. Indian Food Industry. 2006;25(5):58–62.
- Hossain S, Shishir MRI, Saifullah M, Kayshar MS, Tonmoy SW, Rahman A, et al. Incorporation of coconut flour in plain cake and investigation of the effect of sugar and baking powder on its baking quality. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. 2016;5(1):31–38. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ijnfs.20160501.15.
- Sridevi Sivakami PS, Sarojini KS. Formulation of value added biscuits using defatted coconut flour. American Journal of Food Technology. 2013;8(3):207–212.
- Srivastava Y, Semwal AD, Sharma GK, Bawa AS. Effect of virgin coconut meal (VCM) on the textural, thermal and physico chemical properties of biscuits. Food and Nutrition Science. 2010;2(2):38–44.
- Paucean A, Man S, Muste S, Pop A. Development of Gluten Free Cookies from Rice and Coconut Flour Blends. Bulletin of University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca. Food Science and Technology. 2016;73(2):163–164. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15835/buasvmcn-fst:12311.
- Yadav DN, Anand T, Navnidhi, Singh AK. Co-extrusion of pearl millet-whey protein concentrate for expanded snacks. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;49(3):840–846. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12373.
- Okafor GI, Ugwu FC. Production and evaluation of cold extruded and baked ready-to-eat snacks from blends of breadfruit (Treculia africana), cashewnut (Anacardium occidentale) and coconut (Cocos nucifera). Food Science and Quality Management. 2014;23:65–77.
- Mihiranie MKS, Jayasundera JMMA, Pathiraje PMHD, Perera ODAN. Physico-Chemical and Organoleptic Properties of Snack Crackers Incorporated with Defatted Coconut Flour. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University, International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka. 2014;18:190.
- Queiroz AM, Da Rocha RFJ, Dos Santos Garruti D, De Pádua Valença Da Silva A, Da Silva Araújo IM. Preparation and characterization of gluten-free cookies enriched with coconut flour: an alternative for celiac. Brazilian Journal of Food Technology. 2017;20. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-6723.9716.
- Khatkar BS, Panghal A, Singh U. Applications of Cereal Starches in Food Processing. Indian Food Industry. 2009;28(2):37–44.
- Okafor GI, Usman GO. Physical and functional properties of breakfast cereals from blends of maize, african yam bean, defatted coconut cake and sorghum extract. Food Science and Quality Management. 2015;40:25–34.
- Ojali G, Elijah AU, Nicholas AO, Morayo R. Proximate Composition and Anti-nutrient Properties of Breakfast Cereal Made from Blends of Local Rice, Soybeans and Defatted Coconut Flours. Nutrition and Food Science. 2015;11.
- Yadav DN, Sharma M, Chhikara N, Anand T. and Bansal S. Quality characteristics of vegetable-blended wheat–pearl millet composite pasta. Agriculture Research. 2014;3(3):263–270. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-014-0117-7.
- Awasthi R. Utilization of coconut flour for the development and nutritional analysis of gluten free dish. International Journal of Recent Advances Multidisciplinary Research. 2016;3(5):1441–1443.
Coconut meal: Nutraceutical importance and food industry application. Foods and Raw Materials, 2019, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 419-427
Кемеровский государственный университет
2308-4057 (Print) /