AbstractIntroduction. The existing methods of animal fat obtaining have certain disadvantages, hence fat extraction study highly is relevant. Electrochemically activated solutions are known to have a great potential for animal fat extraction. The present paper introduced a new advanced fat obtaining technology based on the principle of electrochemical activation.
Study objects and methods. The research featured ostrich fat obtained by wet rendering in water and in an electrochemically activated solution (catholyte) using various processing methods and technological parameters. Standard methods helped define the physical and chemical parameters of the obtained fat samples.
Results and discussion. The paper introduced a technological and hardware setup of an ostrich fat production line with the necessary equipment specifications. The research made it possible to define the optimal parameters for fat extraction: the salt concentration for the catholyte = 4 g/100 cm3, voltage = 40–42 V, pH = 11, and redox potential of the catholyte = between –600 and –700 mV. During the fat processing, cell membranes in the electrolyte were destroyed, which inactivated the enzyme system. The obtained combination of physical and chemical factors resulted in ostrich fat of high quality. Fat extraction in an electrochemically activated solution (catholyte) catalyzed the process and increased the fat yield, regardless of the processing temperature. The fat yield exceeded 58% at 55°C and catholyte pH of 11.0. At 95–100°C and pH of 9.5–10.6, it exceeded 95%.
Conclusion. The new technology increased the fat yield, maintained its high quality, and reduced the processing cost. Therefore, the developed production line could be recommended for fat extraction of farm animals, depending on the intended use.
KeywordsFatty acid, fats, raw material, electrolysis, catholyte, food production, water, solutions
FUNDINGThe research was part of agreement No. 14.607.21.0161 with the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation (Minobrnauka) , Applied Research and Exploratory Development Program No. RFMEFI60716X16.
- Method of preparing ostrich rendered fat. Russia patent RU 2382072C1. 2010.
- Liato V, Labrie S, Aïder M. Electro-activation of potassium acetate, potassium citrate and calcium lactate: impact on solution acidity, Redox potential, vibrational properties of Raman spectra and antibacterial activity on E. coli O157:H7 at ambient temperature. Springer Plus. 2016;5(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-3453-1.
- Aïder M, Gnatko E, Benali M, Plutakhin G, Kastyuchik A. Electro-activated aqueous solutions: Theory and application in the food industry and biotechnology. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2012;15:38–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2012.02.002.
- Jiménez-Pichardo R, Regalado C, Castaño-Tostado E, Meas-Vong Y, Santos-Cruz J, García-Almendárez BE. Evaluation of electrolyzed water as cleaning and disinfection agent on stainless steel as a model surface in the dairy industry. Food Control. 2016;60:320–328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.08.011.
- Thorn RMS, Lee SWH, Robinson GM, Greenman J, Reynolds DM. Electrochemically activated solutions: evidence for antimicrobial efficacy and applications in healthcare environments. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2012;31(5):641–653. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-011-1369-9.
- Bakhir VM. Ehlektrokhimicheskaya aktivatsiya [Electrochemical activation]. Moscow: RSRIME; 1992. 657 p. (In Russ.).
- Krasavtsev BE, Tsaturyan AS, Simkin VB, Alexandrov BL, Alexandrova EA. Industrial device for the electrochemical activation of water. Polythematic online scientific journal of Kuban State Agrarian University. 2015;(110):786–800. (In Russ.).
- Janoschek R, Weidemann EG, Pfeiffer H, Zundel G. Extremely high polarizability of hydrogen bonds. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 1972;94(7):2387–2396. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00762a032.
- Plutakhin GA, Mohammed A, Koshchaev AG, Gnatko EN. Theoretical fundamentals of electrochemical treatment of water solutions. Polythematic online scientific journal of Kuban State Agrarian University. 2013;(92):72–83. (In Russ.).
- Gerzhova A, Mondor M, Benali M, Aider M. A comparative study between the electro-activation technique and conventional extraction method on the extractability, composition and physicochemical properties of canola protein concentrates and isolates. Food Bioscience. 2015;11:56–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2015.04.005.
- Osadchenko IM, Filatov AS, Chamurliev NG. Process for the preparation of minced meat by the use of electroactivated solutions. Proceedings of Lower Volga Agro-University Complex: Science and Higher Education. 2017;45(1):109–114. (In Russ.).
- Osadchenko IM, Gorlov IF, Sivkov AI, Nikolaev DV, Mosolova NI. Innovative approach to electrical processing of dairy drinks. Storage and Processing of Farm Products. 2018;(1):20–22. (In Russ.).
- Semenenko SYa, Lytov MN, Chushkin AN, Chushkina EI. Agroecological assessment of the effectiveness of irrigation of tomato using electrolyzed water. South of Russia: ecology, development. 2019;14(3):61–70. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.18470/1992-1098-2019-3-61-70.
- Semenenko SYa, Lytov MN, Chushkin AN, Chushkina EI. Determination of the parameters of technological process of application of electrolized water under drip irrigation of vegetable crops. Proceedings of Lower Volga Agro-University Complex: Science and Higher Education. 2019;54(2):322–330. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.32786/2071-9485-2019-02-38.
- Krasavtsev BE, Tsaturjan AS, Simkin VB, Aleksandrov BL, Aleksandrova EhA. Vegetable oil refining method (versions). Russia patent RU 2525269C2. 2014.
- Pasko OA. Metabolism in Amaranthus L. seeds after their treatmentwith electrochemically activated water. Agricultural Biology. 2013;38(3):84–91. (In Russ.).
- Kitanovski VD, Vlahova-Vangelova DB, Dragoev SG, Nikolov HN, Balev DK. Effect of electrochemically activated anolyte on the shelf-life of cold stored rainbow trout. Food Science and Applied Biotechnology. 2018;1(1):1–10. https://doi.org/10.30721/fsab2018.v1.i1.2.
- Pogorelov AG, Suvorov OA, Kuznetsov AL, Panait AI, Pogorelova MA, Ipatova LG. Disintegration of bacterial film by electrochemically activated water solution. Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine. 2018;165(4):493–496. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10517-018-4202-y.
- Liato V, Labrie S, Benali M, Aïder M. Ion exchange membrane-assisted electro-activation of aqueous solutions: Effect of the operating parameters on solutions properties and system electric resistance. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 2015;93:124–138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2014.04.005.
- Pshenko EB, Shestakov IYa, Shestakov VI. Features of electroactivated water production at a coaxial electrode location. Siberian Journal of Science and Technology. 2019;20(1):119–125. https://doi.org/10.31772/2587-6066-2019-20-1-119-125.
- Semenenko SYa, Chushkin AN, Lytov MN. The law of relaxation of water with electrochemically modified redox potential. Proceedings of Lower Volga Agro-University Complex: Science and Higher Education. 2017;46(2):263–271. (In Russ.).
- Arakcheev EN, Brunman VE, Brunman MV, Konyashin AV, Dyachenko VA, Petkova AP. Complex technology for water and wastewater disinfection and its industrial realization in prototype unit. Hygiene and Sanitation. 2017;96(2):137–143. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.18821/0016-9900-2017-96-2-137-143.
- Gurbanova UM, Huseynova RG, Tahirli HM, Dadashova SD, Aliyev ASh, Tagiyev DB. Electrodeposition of Ni-Mo alloys from ammonium electrolytes. Azerbaijan Chemical Journal. 2015;(3):25–31. https://doi.org/10.32737/0005-2531-2019-3-25-31.
- Jaccaud M, Leroux F, Millet JC. New chlor-alkali activated cathodes. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 1989;22(1–2):105–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/0254-0584(89)90033-3.
- Wu L, He Y, Lei T, Nan B, Xu N, Zou J, et al. Characterization of porous Ni3Al electrode for hydrogen evolution in strong alkali solution. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2013;141(1):553–561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2013.05.061.
- Bodner M, Hofer A, Hacker V. H2 generation from alkaline electrolyzer. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. 2015;4(4):365–381. https://doi.org/10.1002/wene.150.
- Bakhir VM, Zadorozhniy YuG, Leonov BI, Panicheva SA, Prilutskiy VI, Sukhova OI. Ehlektrokhimicheskaya aktivatsiya: istoriya, sostoyanie, perspektivy [Electrochemical activation: history, state, and prospects]. Moscow: RSRIME; 1999. 256 p. (In Russ.).
- Gorbatov AV, Machikhin SA, Maslov AM, Tabachnikov VP, Machikhin YuA, Kosoy VD. Strukturno-mekhanicheskie kharakteristiki pishchevykh produktov [Structural and mechanical characteristics of food products]. Moscow: Legkaya i pishchevaya promyshlennost’; 1982. 296 p. (In Russ.).
- Gorbacheva MV, Tarasov VE, Tarasov SV, Sapozhnikova AI, Gordienko IM. Fat production line. Russia patent RU 2679711C1. 2019.