Copyright ©Gadouche et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Received 13 October, 2021 |
Accepted in revised form 14 April, 2022 |
Published 23 June, 2022
Foods and Raw Materials, 2022, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 196-205
Rhamnus alaternus L. is a Rhamnaceae shrub and a popular traditional medicine in Algeria. The present research objective was to investigate the antioxidant, genotoxic, and antigenotoxic properties of R. alaternus methanolic leaf extract.
Antiradical scavenging activity was tested by α, α-diphenyl-β-picrylhydrazyl free radical scavenging and β-carotene bleaching method. DNA damage and repair were measured by the Allium cepa test with sodium azide as a mutagenic agent. Mitotic index and chromosomal aberrations were calculated by microscopy of meristem roots stained with 2% carmine acetic.
The methanolic extract of R. alaternus leaves inhibited the free radical DPPH (IC50 = 0.74 ± 0.3 mg/mL) and prevented the oxidation of β-carotene (50.71 ± 4.17%). The root phenotyping showed that sodium azide changed their color and shape, decreased their stiffness, and significantly reduced their length. The roots treated with both R. alaternus leaf extract and sodium azide demonstrated a better root growth. The roots treated with the methanolic extract were much longer than the control roots (P < 0.001). The microscopy images of root meristem treated with the sodium azide mitodepressant agent showed significant chromosomal aberrations, which indicated a disruption of the cell cycle.
The R. alaternus leaf extract appeared to have a beneficial effect on cytotoxicity. The antioxidant properties of R. alaternus L. makes this plant an excellent genoportector.
Rhamnus alaternus L.
, antioxidant activity
, Allium cepa
, chromosomal aberrations
, mitotic index
- Sabahi Z, Soltani F, Moein M. Insight into DNA protection ability of medicinal herbs and potential mechanisms in hydrogen peroxide damages model. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2018;8(2):120–129. https://doi.org/10.4103/2221-1691.225616
- Kitagishi Y, Kobayashi M, Matsuda S. Protection against cancer with medicinal herbs via activation of tumor suppressor. Journal of Oncology. 2012;2012. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/236530
- Dayani MA, Heidari-Soureshjani S, Salcher J. Radio-protective effects and mechanisms of medicinal plants against X-ray: A systematic review. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 2019;25(1):1–11. https://doi.org/10.9734/JPRI/2018/46764
- Nekkaa A, Benaissa A, Mutelet F, Canabady-Rochelle L. Rhamnus alaternus plant: Extraction of bioactive fractions and evaluation of their pharmacological and phytochemical properties. Antioxidants. 2021;10(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox10020300
- Zeouk I, Bekhti K. A critical overview of the traditional, phytochemical and pharmacological aspects of Rhamnus alaternus: a Mediterranean shrub. Advances in Traditional Medicine. 2020; 20:1–11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13596-019-00388-8
- Boussahel S, Speciale A, Dahamna S, Amar Y, Bonaccorsi I, Cacciola F, et al. Flavonoid profile, antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of different extracts from Algerian Rhamnus alaternus L. bark. Pharmacogny Magazine. 2015;11(42):S102–S109. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1296.157707
- Moussi K, Nayak B, Perkins LB, Dahmoune F, Madani K, Chibane M. HPLC-DAD profile of phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of leaves extract of Rhamnus alaternus L. Industrial Crops and Products. 2015;74:858–866. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2015.06.015
- Ben Ammar R, Kilani S, Bouhlel I, Skandrani I, Naffeti A, Boubaker J, et al. Antibacterial and cytotoxic activities of extracts from (Tunisian) Rhamnus alaternus (Rhamnaceae). Annals of Microbiology 2007;57(3):453–460. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03175089
- Bhouri W, Sghaier MB, Kilani S, Bouhlel I, Dijoux-Franca M-G, Ghedira K, et al. Evaluation of antioxidant and antigenotoxic activity of two flavonoids from Rhamnus alaternus L. (Rhamnaceae): Kaempferol 3-O-β-isorhamninoside and rhamnocitrin 3-O-β-isorhamninoside. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2011;49(5):1167–1173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2011.02.011
- Bhouri W, Bouhlel I, Boubaker J, Kilani S, Ghedira K, Ghedira LC. Induction of apoptosis in human lymphoblastoid cells by kaempferol 3-O-β-isorhamninoside and rhamnocitrin 3-O-β-isorhamninoside from Rhamnus alaternus L. (Rhamnaceae). Cell Proliferation 2011;44(3):283–290. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2184.2011.00749.x
- Chatti IB, Ben Toumia I, Krichen Y, Maatouk M, Ghedira LC, Krifa M. Assessment of Rhamnus alaternus leaves extract: Phytochemical characterization and antimelanoma activity. Journal of Medicinal Food 2021. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2020.0170
- Gadouche L, Zidane A, Zerrouki K, Azouni K, Bouinoune S. Cytotoxic effect of Myrtus communis, Aristolochia longa, and Calycotome spinosa on human erythrocyte cells. Foods and Raw Materials. 2021;9(2):379–386. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2021-2-379-386
- Quezel P, Santa S. New flora of Algeria and southern desert regions. 2 Vol. Paris: National Centre for Scientific Research; 1963. 1170 p. (In French.).
- Diallo D, Sanogo R, Yasambou H, Traoré A, Coulibaly K, Maiga A. Study of the chemical compounds of Ziziphus mauritiana Lam. (Rhamnaceace) leaves, used traditionally in the treatment of diabetes in Mali. Comptes Rendus Chimie. 2004;7(10–11):1073–1080. (In French.). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crci.2003.12.035
- Raafat K, Samy W. Amelioration of diabetes and painful diabetic neuropathy by Punica granatum L. extract and its spray dried biopolymeric dispersions. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014;2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/180495
- Hmid I, Elothmani D, Hanine H, Oukabli A, Mehinagic E. Comparative study of phenolic compounds and their antioxidant attributes of eighteen pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cultivars grown in Morocco. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2013;10:S2675–S2684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2013.10.011
- Burits M, Bucar F. Antioxidant activity of Nigella sativa essential oil. Phytotherapy Research. 2000;14(5):323–328. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1573(200008)14:5<323::AID-PTR621>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Sharififar F, Mozaffarian V, Moradkhani S. Comparison of antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of the essential oils from flowers and fruits of Otostegia persica Boiss. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 2007;10(21):3895–3899. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2007.3895.3899
- Kartal N, Sokmen M, Tepe B, Daferera D, Polissiou M, Sokmen A. Investigation of the antioxidant properties of Ferula orientalis L. using a suitable extraction procedure. Food Chemistry. 2007;100(2):584–589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.09.084
- Tedesco SB, Laughinghouse IV HD. Bioindicator of genotoxicity: The Allium cepa test. In: Srivastava JK, editor. Environmental contamination. Rijeka: InTech Publisher; 2012. pp. 137–156. https://doi.org/10.5772/31371
- Yekeen TA, Azeez MA, Akinboro A, Lateef A, Asafa TB, Oladipo IC, et al. Safety evaluation of green synthesized Cola nitida pod, seed and seed shell extracts-mediated silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using an Allium cepa assay. Journal of Taibah University for Science. 2017;11(6):895–909. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtusci.2017.06.005
- Grant WF. The present status of higher plant assays for the detection of environmental mutagens. Mutation Research Regular Papers. 1994;310(2):175–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(94)90112-0
- Leme DM, Marin-Morales MA. Allium cepa test in environmental monitoring: A review on its application. Mutation Research – Reviews in Mutation Research. 2009;682(1):71–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrrev.2009.06.002
- Al-Qurainy F, Al-Hemaid FM, Khan S, Ajmal Ali M, Tarroum M, Ashraf M. Detection of sodium azide-induced mutagenicity in the regenerated shoots of Artemisia annua using internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequences of nrDNA. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2011;43(4):2183–2186.
- Neelamkavil SV, Thoppil JE. Genotoxic assessment of calcium hypochlorite and Strychnos potatorum Linn. seeds – Two commonly used water purifying agents. Reviews on Environmental Health. 2015;30(1):19–23. https://doi.org/10.1515/reveh-2014-0066
- Bhagyanathan NK, Thoppil JE. Genotoxic potential of Cynanchum sarcomedium Meve & Liede coupled with its modulatory action on oxidative-stress–mediated genotoxicity by hydrogen peroxide. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2016;40(1):120–129.
- Obute GC, Ekeke C, Izuka DC. Genotoxicity assessment of refined petroleum products and popular local soft drink (Zobo) in daily use in Nigeria. Research Journal of Mutagenesis. 2016;6(1):22–30. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjmutag.2016.22.30
- Ben Ammar R, Kilani S, Abdelwahed A, Hayder N, Mahmoud A, Chibani J, et al. In vitro mutagenicity, antimutagenicity and free radical scavenging activity of Rhamnus alaternus (Rhamnaceae) extracts. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 2005;8(3):439–445. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2005.439.445
- Perron NR, Hodges JN, Jenkins M, Brumaghim JL. Predicting how polyphenol antioxidants prevent DNA damage by binding to iron. Inorganic Chemistry. 2008;47(14):6153–6161. https://doi.org/10.1021/ic7022727
- Silva JP, Gomes AC, Coutinho OP. Oxidative DNA damage protection and repair by polyphenolic compounds in PC12 cells. European Journal of Pharmacology. 2008;601(1–3):50–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.10.046
- Majidinia M, Bishayee A, Yousefi B. Polyphenols: Major regulators of key components of DNA damage response in cancer. DNA Repair. 2019;82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dnarep.2019.102679
- Ammar RB, Kilani S, Bouhlel I, Ezzi L, Skandrani I, Boubaker J, et al. Antiproliferative, antioxidant, and antimutagenic activities of flavonoid-enriched extracts from (Tunisian) Rhamnus alaternus L.: Combination with the phytochemical composition. Drug and Chemical Toxicology. 2008;31(1):61–80. https://doi.org/10.1080/01480540701688725
- Ben Sghaier M, Bhouri W, Neffati A, Boubaker J, Skandrani I, Bouhlel S, et al. Chemical investigation of different crude extracts from Teucrium ramosissimum leaves. Correlation with their antigenotoxic and antioxidant properties. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2011;49(1):191–201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.10.016
How to quote?
Gadouche Leila, Zidane Azdinia, Zerrouki Khayra, Ababou Adda, Bachir Elazaar Ibtissem, Merabet Dounya, Henniche Wissam, Ikhlef Samah Genoprotective, antimutagenic, and antioxidant effect of methanolic leaf extract of Rhamnus alaternus L. from the Bissa mountains in Algeria. Foods and Raw Materials, 2022, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 196-205
Kemerovo State University
2308-4057 (Print) /