Doctor of Medicine, Professor of Allergology, President of the European Academy for Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Workplace: Christian Doppler Laboratory for Allergy Research, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectology and Immunology,Medical University of Vienna(Vienna, Austria )
Position: Head of Division of Immunopathology, Department of Pathophysiology and Allergy Research
Address: Währinger Gürtel 18-20, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Phone: + 431-40400-5108
Fax: + 431 40400 5130
Field of ExpertiseAllergy therapy; molecular characterization of cross-reactive allergens as explanation for allergic cross-reactivity; IgE autoreactivity as possible pathomechanism in severe allergy; the role of T cells and T cell-mediated pathology in allergy; rhinovirus coat proteins for serological diagnosis and for vaccination of rhinovirus infections and asthma
Qualifications1987 – MD,University of Vienna.
Work and research experience
- Full Professor for Allergology at the Medical University of Vienna;
- Foreign Adjunct Professor for Allergy at the Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
Academic publications450, 70 patent licenses
Research projectsAllergy research programs at the Medical University of Vienna
- Chairman of the standardization committee of the International Union of Immunological Societies (IUIS);
- Vice-president of the European Academy for Allergy and Clinical Immunology;
- President of the Austrian Society for Allergology and Immunology;
- Member of the Austrian Academy of Science.
- 2016 – award of American Colledge of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology;
- 2013 – Würdigungspreis Wissenschaft;
- 2009 – Paul Ehrlich’s Award in experimental science;
- 2001 – Alois Sonnleitner’s Award in immunology;
- 1998 – Start-Preis (the highest Austrian award for young scientists);
- 1996 – Pharmacia Allergy Research Foundation;
- 1994 – Sandoz Award in biology;
- 1992 – golden medal of European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation;
- 1992 – Carl Landsteiner's Award;
- 1992 – Theodor Billroth's Award;
- 1991 – Clemens von Pirquet’s Award.
Special scientific achievementsIntroduced the use of recombinant allergens in the diagnosis and therapy of allergic diseases.
Significant publications in Russian and foreign issues
- Baar A., Pahr S., Constantin C., et al. Molecular and Immunological Characterization of Tri a 36, a Low Molecular Weight Glutenin, as a Novel Major Wheat Food Allergen. The Journal of Immunology, 2012, vol. 189, no. 6, pp. 3018–3025. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1200438.
- Baranyi U., Pilat N., Gattringer M., et al. Persistent molecular microchimerism induces long-term tolerance towards a clinically relevant respiratory allergen. Clinical and Experimental Allergy, 2012, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1282–1292. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2012.04049.x.
- Blatt K., Herrmann H., Mirkina I., et al. The PI3-Kinase/mTOR-Targeting Drug NVP-BEZ235 Inhibits Growth and IgE-Dependent Activation of Human Mast Cells and Basophils. PLoS One, 2012, vol. 7, no. 1. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0029925.
- Casset A., Mari A., Purohit A., et al. Varying Allergen Composition and Content Affects the in vivo Allergenic Activity of Commercial Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus Extracts. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, 2012, vol. 159, no. 3, pp. 253–262. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000337654.
- Chen K.W., Blatt K., Thomas W.R., et al. Hypoallergenic Der p 1/Der p 2 combination vaccines for immunotherapy of house dust mite allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2012, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 435–443. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2012.05.035.
References to the scientist's profile
Scopus Author ID: 7102353770 – https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7102353770
ResearcherID: H-5356-2016 – http://www.researcherid.com/rid/H-5356-2016 ;
Other references: www.meduniwien.ac.at/allergy-research-christian-doppler ;